Do You Use A Helmet When Riding

littlefire

Absolutely! One of my cousins was riding a bike without a helmet a few years back and cracked her skull. She had brain damage that caused her to mentally go back to kindergarten. Luckily she recovered just fine.

Marshmallow

We have a rule around here: No helmet, no riding. When the grandkids break it, their ride goes into hiding for a month. Three strikes and the ride will be history. No one's made it past two strikes yet.

Cory

Oregon!
Always wear a helmet when biking. Even yesterday i went on flat trails that go through a 1000 acre meadow and its just powering through mud. I'm prone to concussions from prior sports so it took me a few falls to learn...

If you don't wear a helmet, wear one please.

calvinandhobbes

I always wear a helmet. Mainly because I get scolded for not doing so haha. The one I have now looks so geeky, I have to go buy another one so I do not feel so weird wearing it. But yeah I guess with helmets its better safe than sorry. I never do any dangerous biking though. Accidents can happen of course.

agoodwriter

Helmet is very important, because you cannot really know when you fall or something. In my opinion everyone should always use helmet. Some people think that it looks stupid, but it's for your own safety.:tinysmile_fever_t:

mariaandrea

I always wear a helmet now even though it took time to get used to, since no one wore one when I was a kid. But, as soon as I had my own kids and taught them to ride bikes, it became something I always did, like using a seat belt. I remember skidding on gravel on a road shoulder once as a teen and falling and getting scraped up and a bump on my head. Not fun. The way I see it, it's crucial in road/traffic situations - accidents happen all the time. And in the woods, mountain biking, lots of natural hazards and falling is even more common. It's cliche, but better safe than sorry.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have an idea.

Someone come up with a good reason to not wear a helmet.
1.They mess up my otherwise esthetaically pleasing configuration of hair.

2.I don't like the shape of my skull.

3. They are just useless wind resistence in my quest for speed.

4.The strap chafes my neck and I have enough scars already.

5.Birds keep landing on me trying to hatch my head.

6.My sunglasses don't feel right when I wear one.

7.I would have to buy more than one so the colors don't clash with my outfit.

8.I sometimes forget to take it off and people stare at me in restaurants.

9.When I go really fast it whistles and attracts groundhogs.

10.They don't really work because I fell off my bike once and hit my head and it hurt.

txcamper

Casual Camper
I admit, I'm very guilty of not wearing a helmet most of the time. I don't usually ride on trail (when I do I always wear a helmet) but in the city I didn't. You have to figure out where to put them or carry them around with you, and they mess your hair up so if you're going to work or to give a presentation in class it doesn't work out so well.

But, now that I live in Miami, I am always going to wear a helmet! The drivers here are absolutely crazy, not to mention the other cyclists, and I always feel bad not wearing a helmet anyway.

iArvee

I always use a helmet when riding my bike (not recently though, more like when I was 11). I used to always wear kneepads, wristpads, and elbowpads until I realized I looked like a dork (yes sacrificing safety). Nothing bad happened really, except for when I rode into a mailbox (had a helmet anyway).

jacktanner

I tend to always wear a helmet, ever since a workmate of mine got into a minor car accident on his bicycle and had a minor injury on his head.
I want myself and my kids to have an intact head at all times, so unless there just riding infront of our house I always require them to wear one.

Plus nowadays helmet wearing is becoming so much more common, that sometimes its weird if you dont wear a helmet. But this is just my opinion.

Pathfinder1

txcamper;

But, now that I live in Miami, I am always going to wear a helmet! The drivers here are absolutely crazy, not to mention the other cyclists, and I always feel bad not wearing a helmet anyway.

Hi...

Remember...in New York State...it's the law. When you retire, you must move to Miami...!! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

monde

I actually have one but I just don't wear it when I'm biking in the neighborhood. I feel that I would use it when I'm biking in the mountains just to be safe.

RandySki

I wear a helmet because I have wife and kids who depend on me. Friend of mine told me about this guy who was riding, hit something flipped over the handle bars and smacked his head - no helmet. He was gone the next day. Left behind a small family. I'm not taking any chances.

hikeorbike

I do as a safety precaution and insurance, but I don't necessarily love the look or feel of it. It only takes one time of riding ballsy without a helmet for you to regret it.

shaun

I don't really like wearing a helmet, especially in the summer when it's hot. I still wear it whenever I am riding my bike though. Maybe I should invest in a better quality helmet because my current helmet is rather uncomfortable.

ladymtnwalker

Hellmet

I know we should, but we do not. Anything can happen, but we mainly ride on the rails-to-trails or in our neighborhood. If I were to go out on mtn biking trails, I probably would wear a helmet then.