Dog in the tent?

RatherBRiding

Do you let your dog sleep in your tent? I'm afraid my dog's toenails will rip the bottom of mine. If it's raining I let her sleep in the car. Otherwise, she just stays outside.

Bobby

I once camped with two German shepherds. They did NOT like the car and did NOT like staying out. They ended up on a spare sleeping bag in my tent.

crosscountry

I do not have a dog but I cannot imagine having one in my tent with me. Unless it was a small dog I think it would be outside!

dinosaur

troublemaker
When I am camping, I sleep with two companions, my dog and a gun. My gun is a big one and my dog is a one hundred pound red wolf. I don't like being disturbed when I am sleeping. It makes me kind of surly.

suznzoo

I generally have my dog sleep in the tent with me but sometimes he unzips the zipper and sleeps outside the tent door.

carolinawanderwoman

Bad*** Chick on the Trail
My 85-lb Bernese Mountain Dog always sleeps in the (2-person) tent with me, especially since I generally only camp in cool/cold weather and she helps with warmth. I have never had a problem with her ripping the floor or walls.

CaliRockJumper

i have weenie dogs, so (when i take them) they are in the tent with me. more comfortable and warm than anything because im used to them sleeping with us. no toenail poking problems have ever arised, but they are only 10 pounds each.

Grandpa

Tank allows me to sleep in the tent with him. It's the pits backpacking with a true 2 man tent just so he can stretch out. But he does growl real good when a bear or moose wanders in.

ppine

Forester
RatherB,

Trim the toenails or add a canvas tarp on your tent floor. Dogs like to be with their pack.

I like to zip them in a jacket when it is cold. They at least need insulation from the ground.

When sleeping without a tent they run loose but stay close.

Sleeping with dogs under a tarp is ideal because they can come and go as they please.

Last edited:

carmen

We have started grooming our dogs once a week, the nails are just going insane right now. The trimming part is easier for us with the dogs, the cats hate it. Keeping them trim goes a long way and if you are lucky you are not doing it on a weekly basis like we are.

2Tired4

A nice pad for a dog would be sitting pad from Therm-a-Rest. I know it's maybe a bit too much to spend $20 on it but believe me, it's harder to make a dog stay outside or let him in and not rip the tent floor.

Roy

My late Newfie was always welcome in the tent. She took up more room than anyone and she would kick me but I never had any problems with toenails ripping the tent.

Grandpa

Tank has his own self inflating pad made specifically for dogs. He also walks very carefully when in the tent. He knows it is taboo to step on my pad or bag.

firedancer

My dog would claw a hole in the screen if I tried to leave him outside overnight! He doesn't backpack with me, so we're always car camping which means I always bring a couple of old blankets with me to cover the tent floor and keep him warm.

Ready

I don't really see any alternative. Letting the dog outside alone in an unfamiliar surrounding seems like a bad idea. Staking the dog outside seems like an even worse idea due to predators. I'd want to keep my dog close.

CozInCowtown

Do you let your dog sleep in your tent? I'm afraid my dog's toenails will rip the bottom of mine. If it's raining I let her sleep in the car. Otherwise, she just stays outside.
So, let me get this straight......you wont let you dog sleep in a $100 tent but will leave her in a $40,000 car all night?
:frusty:

Last edited: