Dumb things you have seen people do in camp

AK Hunter

The dumbest thing I have ever seen was a buddy of mine early one morning after a day & night of a few too many brown bottles, tried to relight the campfire. He did it with charcoal lighter fluid, he picked up the big bottle(Sam's club size) of lighter fluid and started spraying on the embers, acting like he was peeing. :tinysmile_sleep_t:
He must have had his eyes closed (good thing) because he disappeared in a cloud of vapors from the hot lighter fluid. Just then it ignited with a big WHOOPH, as he fell backwards out of the ball of flames, it had burned off half the hair on his head, all the hair from his arms, & all of his facial hair was still on fire along with spots on his shirt. He had 2nd degree burns on his arms & chest with 3rd degree burns on his face & head.
The only thing he said after we got the flames put out was "That's one hell of a way to end a good morning buzz!"
AKA, Don't let the drunks tend the fire!:tinysmile_twink_t:

CozInCowtown

Coz,
Why wouldn't you offer to let them sleep in your trailer instead of being so smug about their misfortune?
Because I choose to devote my energies to emergency Foster kids instead of adults "ignert" enough to realise you can not pitch a tent in a downpour and 50 mph winds.
JMO,
I can't save the entire world from itself, just some little kids from horrendous situations.
DC

Last edited:

CozInCowtown

Sorry ppine for venting, got a couple of great kids this week.
Been reading the file and really upset with the entire situation......If only the punishment would match the crime.

Last edited:

Dana

Hazards of tent camping not so funny

Hey,
I am here in Arizona - a couple of weeks ago a couple was in northern part of the state, sleeping in the tent. Food secured inside of vehicle so that wasn't the immediate attraction to the bear that showed up. The bear swatted the tent and came in contact with the woman. Fortunately, the cut was minor. The bear ran off and the rangers have spent time searching for him or her - worried about rabies and also this particular bear might come back now around humans. They don't think they can relocate the bear far enough away so the bear will have to go. We have had such dry weather and short on rainfall, not a lot of food for forest creatures of the bear's size. We have had bears venture close to Phoenix in residential areas - HUNGRY!

eyebp

Senator
One saw some idiot get completely blitzed off of Captain Morgan and hunt down a blue crab with a blowgun and then cook it over a fire on the beach...

Oh wait... that looks a lot like me ;)
I was reading that and thought... "nah, that's pretty cool."

LinuxRacr

Last year on our first ever camping trip, my daughter and my young cousin decided to backcounty camp at Rocky Mountain Natl Park. On the trail leading into the campsite, I decided to teach them basic navigation with a compass and topo map. I sarted with my cousin first since she was older, and handed my then aged 10 daughter the bear spray to hold for me. I begin teaching my cousin about orienting the map, when we both hear this Psssst sound. I look back at my daughter who had just sprayed the bear spray! Before I could utter the first words asking her why she did it, this reddish-orange cloud hits me in the face... Immediately, we all were gagging, choking, and running back down the trail. The water that was just pumped out of a nearby stream had to be used to wash out my eyes, as my eyes burned for 15 minutes. Needless to say the trip was almost cut short. After a massive scolding, and training on the proper handling of bear spray, I found out that she was trying to spray mosquitos!

Dana

Bears posing problems in Payson, Arizona Park sites

Just heard on news there have been 3 incidents of bears being too aggressive in campsites and the Payson park site will be closed until July 15th or so. Rangers need to find bear or bears. We have had such dry weather for quite a period of time the bears and coyotes are bold. Other parks will be open thus far.

monde

Last camping event, a fellow camper who was a total stranger to us joined us to fish in a lake one hot afternoon. He was wearing his only undies and a baseball cap on his head, with a fishing rod and some bait in his pail. I just watch him sat on the ground while he waited for something to pull on his strings but he stood up suddenly and screamed to see that some fire ants were crawling on his butt. He ran away and we tried hard not to laugh.

shaun

The dumbest thing I have seen is a family leave food waste outside their camp in grizzly bear territory. There were big signs at the camp site warning about the dangers of grizzly bears but they obviously didn't take heed.

Yab9

One of the funniest things I have seen was a few years back. There was this family on a camping trip and they left for a walk or something, but left their pot with sausages in the tent.
When they came back hey found a wild boar feasting on their food. It was pretty funny watching them chase the boar away.

Marshmallow

People set up their things on the beach and go wandering off. I can't count the number of times I've moved other people's things when the waves starting rolling in. They've always been appreciative, but there's that initial "what-in-the-****" moment when they first get back to their spot.

wvbreamfisherman

Not really camping, but I was up in New Brunswick once, watching guys harvest some sort of seaweed at low tide. Now the tides in the bay of Fundy and Gulf of Maine come and go pretty quickly, and the rise and fall can be 20-30 feet, so you have to be on your toes.

Anyhow, one guy drove his pickup pretty far out on the rocks to load up. He was loading the last of his harvest as the tide turned and started coming in. It got almost up to the truck, and he jumped in.... and it wouldn't start.

He jumped out and ran off to get one of his buddies to tow him out. by the time he got back and hooked up, the water was up to the bottom of his doors. They yanked him out of there and saved his truck, although I'd shudder to think what the salt water would do to the drive train. Five more minutes and the water would have been up to his windows and the cab would have been full!

ChadTower

Not really camping, but I was up in New Brunswick once, watching guys harvest some sort of seaweed at low tide.

I grew up in NS. You'd be surprised how often stuff like that happens. A lot of times it's more subtle than that, though. You'll walk a mile down the beach at low tide figuring you're above the high tide line so it's safe. Then the tide comes back. It comes back way faster than people anticipate. That is when you notice that at high tide there are several estuary streams that aren't there at low tide. Now you have an estuary on your left, the ocean on your right, and a series of 5' deep streams connecting them that weren't there two hours ago.

carmen

Newanderthal that sounds like my kind of trip! I am not sure if its dumb, bad luck or just misinformed people (maybe even a pet peeve). It surprises me to no end when people are out & about then realize "oh its dirty out here" or "wow there are bugs/danger". I remember one year my sister went, horrible idea. She is a princess, need I say more? She does not visit often especially during camping times.