Eat what birds eat?

campernewbie

I don't remember if that was the exact line or not, but I remember hearing something about if you are lost and out in the woods without food you can watch some animal to see what it eats (like if it dies, do not eat what it ate). What animal is this and is there truth behind it?

Coyote Uglee

I haven't heard that before, but it does seem to make sense. If a little bitty bird can handle eating some berries and live then they can't be that bad for you, right?

Not that I do much hiking or camping, but if I did I would definitely use that advice to get me through.

bugsy

The only problem with that is, how do you keep an eye on the bird? What if he flies away. Do you think that the birds have some kind of instinct to know what they can eat?

hummingbird

Watch what deer and other animals eat. They won't eat anything that would kill them. The bird to for that matter, wouldn't eat anything that would kill you. You can actually eat grass and live on it if you have to but it wouldn't be all that pleasant.

Bushman

Animals have a sense of smell far greater than ours. They know what is good to eat and what is not good to eat. So, yes it is a good idea to eat what birds or other animals eat.

I may not taste the best, but it should help you survive if you are ever caught in a bad situation out in the wilderness.