Extra Things

Morgan

What kind of things do you have extra when camping? I always have extra undies as I don't know what will happen on the camp. I just can't reuse my undies as I feel very uncomfortable.

Refrigerator

I don't do the undies but I do have plenty of bells and whistles I take along like a Backpackers Kite ..weighs 4 oz. If several stream crossings I take river shoes or crocs. Some times I take a tent light. Mini tripod for camera.

Michael

Socks, knives, flashlights, and ways to start fires. I tend to bring a couple extra of each.

campershell

Extra clothes for everyone including socks and sweaters. Extra meds aside from the first aid kit in case someone gets sick and extra batteries and bulbs for flashlights.

CatsEye

Extra clothing from the inside out especially for the kids. I also carry a quite extensive medical kit. I've learned if it can be hurt or injured, my kids or myself are going to wind up doing it. Just call us the klutz family.

dinosaur

troublemaker
If nothing else, I have to agree with socks. Your feet are what moves you and fresh socks make a world of difference.

Morgan

If nothing else, I have to agree with socks. Your feet are what moves you and fresh socks make a world of difference.
This could be the reason why the army supplies extra socks to soldiers in the great wars. If our feet are not comfortable then all the extra things we brought are useless because we can't continue walking.

Amelie

Socks are defintely top of my list. I also pack a couple of pairs of spare boot laces which can be useful for numerous things. Spare batteries and "Kendal Mint Cake" for when I need an energy burst.

ChadTower

Always, always, always tie to my pack a pair of water shoes or sandals with strong tread. It is worth the effort of changing shoes to get across riverbeds with good footing and keep the boots/socks dry. We all know how great dry feet are when out at distance - an injury due to riverbed crossing in bare feet is even worse.

woodsman

Depends on where I'm camping and if I'm with a car or not, I usually carry some extra clothes since pneumonia is not as funny as it's name sounds and an extra blade in case something were to happen to the one I'm carrying.

striker

When hiking I rarely carry extra things, the weight would just slow me down to much, but when I'm camping I usually have two of everything, since I'll be staying for a few days.

hikinmike

Hear y'all 5 by 5 about the socks. I also take 1-2 large plastic garbage bags. Can improvise a pack cover or rain poncho. One will come in handy for stowing away any trash.

Betty

I always have insulated underwear and wool socks with me, even in summer. In the cooler months I make sure to have extras---nothing worse than being cold!