extra visitors around

carmen

I know in the woods we have came across a few smaller things, even possums freaked the kids out. Last night we caught one in our driveway and the youngest kid almost passed out from shock. Sometimes I really wonder how they can be so brave with some stuff (say jumping off beds like superman) and then not when they are in a car, locked and see a possum. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

citygal

That's too funny. Possums are one thing I'm not nervous about. There is a family of them somewhere out back of our house, we think, because we see a couple of them wandering around regularly. They are so funny looking that they're almost cute to see.

ppine

Forester
I have a long story about trapping possums when I was 12. The punch line is that we cooked it for lunch over a fire, and the kid that skinned became a famous surgeon.

Joe S.

If they were afraid of a small creature in their driveway, then they probably would benefit from more exposure to the outdoors and to wildlife. Wildlife is something to be treasured, not feared.

Hikenhunter

Take them to the zoo and have them watch some wildlife programs on t.v. For some reason they are scared of these things but they should be curious of them instead. If they see them on t.v.and they learn a little bit about these animals and how they live then maybe they won't be as scared as they are now.

carmen

Pine that is not a bad story at all but I am sure for the doc friend it might be a little odd telling his patients that. Maybe we just have some evil possums in our area, but they have even attempted to fight with our dogs and the larger one is about 80lbs. They are brave buggers!

ppine

Forester
Your kids need a lot more outdoors time.

edit-For those of you that are afraid of possums, please don't plan on any trips to places like Alaska.

Last edited:

hikeorbike

That is really funny and is so true! I suppose we all have a bit of possum in us when it comes to being scared of little things.

JeepThrills

I've been a fan of possums ever since I saw my first one. We had just moved to Georgia and my mother woke me up to see it. We watched it (from the window) walk across the ground and then climb up into a tree. We didn't know what it was and thought it might be one very ugly rat!

chuckdee

re

Not a fan. I think they're nasty looking creatures. Had one that hung around the house when I was a kid and it scared the crap out of me on more than 1 occasion.

TroyS

Take them to the zoo and have them watch some wildlife programs on t.v. For some reason they are scared of these things but they should be curious of them instead. If they see them on t.v.and they learn a little bit about these animals and how they live then maybe they won't be as scared as they are now.
I agree. Sad to say, there are a lot of movies about certain animals like those that come out in the night that caused many people to have a really negative image enough to scare people to death. Exposing them and educating them about these animals can help them overcome these and see them in a different way.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

'Possums. What unique creatures. They're one of the few marsupials on earth. They're considered quite mellow...and hardly ever bite you unless you are "messing" with them. And even then they would rather "grin" or "play possum" (play dead), than bite.

They're very helpful in nature, as they will eat about anything that's edible.

Not long ago I had one on my front porch, and it slowly moved away as I told it to move on. I'd feel privileged to have a family of them living on my property.

And yes...they probably would make good coyote bait...!!

ChadTower

I know we have possums here because I see them dead on the roads. I have never seen one alive here, though, which is probably just as well. I'd rather not come across a possum in daylight.

twinsmommy

I took the trash out a few weeks ago and came across a possum in the yard and I swear that thing growled at me. I have never took off so fast in my life. Needless to say, the trash did not make it out to the dumpster that night.

campclose

Great posts here folks. I have to admit that I am always outside. I camped a ton when I was a kid and I take my kids all the time. I still don't like possums! They scare me too - or should I say startle me. It's okay to be startled by visitors.