Finding Trails

jason

fear no beer
How do you go about finding trails for hiking? Do you go to start parks or word of mouth? Is there a group you belong too?

NatureLover916

I've gone to the ranger stations/visitor centers at major parks and pick up a park map and also trail maps (most parks have them). As for the not so well known hikes I like to read up on them in guide books like 'A Falcon Guide' "Hiking California's Desert Parks". They tend to be helpful.

SQuirrel

It's all about networking. Ask your buddies for their favorite trails. Find a group to go hiking with, take them somewhere new, and let them take you to new places.

But then again, there is something to be said about self discovery. Grab a map and start figuring it out. Look for rural type campgrounds (the lil red triangles) and hike out to them for a day hike if it's close. Theres also an option of going for a ride, and pulling off the road where you see a parking lot. Theres gotta be a reason for a parking lot in the middle of the forest. Usually theres a marked trail-head, but be careful. Take a compass, and always know which direction the road is. At the very least if the road runs N to S, and you head out walking E, you can always just walk W and eventually hit that road.

Of course the Self discovery option is assuming that you have a good head on your shoulders, and know a lil bit about taking care of yourself in the woods.

nymike

Happy Trails

I've been day-hiking for about 25 years now, and I would have to say that my favorite hike finding tools are the Falcon Guidebooks, available at your local bookstore or online. Select the guide for your detination and you'll find plenty to keep you hiking no matter how long your vacation.

Also, when you get to your destination, I suggest you hit the local bookstore. Chances are you'll find something written locally which will contain a few gems you didn't know about.

At National Parks, the ranger station is a gold mine; these folks know their stuff and they're more than happy to share what they know.

Beyond that, talk with your fellow hikers. Don't forget, they're on the trail for the same reason you are, and they're happy to trade info. I've gotten clued in on a number of secret gems I would never have known about if I hadn't taken the time to chat. Some spots include an underground lake and a ghost town where you can still find six shooters and other artifacts burried in the sand.

Hope this helps you, and enjoy the miles ahead!

camperz

you need to have a good network, if you really wanna enjoy
Grab some friends, Also grab some of the friends of your friends :D
Grab a map, and start hiking. Their are many maps and guidelines available in nearby stores and online.

Try going to new places to enjoy. :)

sarahlorrain

I like to just show up at a park or campground and either ask around or just go out a bit and see where you end up. (Unless it's really rough country, then you have to make sure you have a map or something.)

bluet

Usually I'm going with my friends to a place that we already knew or heard and surveyed

agnes21

If you visit a public well-known place like the national park, just go to the ranger station and ask one of them. If you are looking for a different place that you never knew before, better take someone to show you the way