First-aid / last-aid kit:

S

sweethoney_214

Hi, I would be more than happy to include some of the hard- learned lessons of the bush. The first one that comes to mind is the first-aid kit. This is improperly named and, therefore, improperly stocked. It should be called the "Last-Aid" Kit ! This is it folks. When you are miles away from medical attention, you are it ! Take your standard purchased kit and remove 60% of it. Keep a few items of each that are included: bandaids, anti-biotic ointment, etc. etc. Then, go see your local physician and explain what you are setting up and trying to accomplish with your kit.

MUST HAVE ITEMS:
1). at least two sets of sutures, needles and thread
2). at least two 4x4, and one 8x8 dressings
3). one large roll of wide-cling gause
4). Some type of strong pain pill
5). one tube of triple anti-biotic cream
6). one tube of burn cream
7). some packets of anti-septic wipes
8). one wide roll of cloth tape

Remember, the object of the exercise is to control the situation until you can get to proper medical attention.

These items are from personal experience. My partner and myself have both stitched ourselves up, in the field and attended-to some pretty serious injuries. I know we like to keep it light, but there is no help or supplies in the field. REMEMBER, If you didn't bring it, you don't have it.

HereToday

I would like to add that another good inclusion into the first/last aid kit is an epi-pen or some other form of epinephrine. Should you get stung or bitten by an insect, or come up upon a plant you are highly allergic to and you feel your breathing and/or your respiratory system shutting down, a rescue dose of epinephrine can keep you on your feet long enough to find help.

tater03

Wow, those are great suggestions. I would have never thought of the antibiotic pill or the epi pen but they both make sense once you mentioned them.

sarahlorrain

I hadn't thought of the needle/sutures. Duh! Of course that's something that you have a good chance of needing should you have an accident. Great post!

Kitten

Wow, it looks like you really came prepared. I never would've thought to take some of those things, although I do definitely customize standard first aid kits to include some other stuff.

dtinnan

maxipads are great for large wounds. they are sterile in the original wrapper. i keep a couple in our first aid kit.

chocoguy

You could also ass ammonia just in case anyone is suffering from dizziness. It would not hurt to be prepared but it would help the needy.

rubybeetle

Where can you buy an epi pen from? I always keep liquid benedryl in the first aid kit, but would also like an epi pen.

HereToday

I seem to keep losing my posts, sorry about that. rubybeetle, check with your pharmacist. I think they're stocked behind the counter.

rubybeetle

Thanks, I was hoping someone had an answer. We have had many minor allergic reactions while camping where benedryl was necessary, I keep waiting for someone to have a terrible reaction. The worst was a caterpillar with strange things protruding from its body which stung.

HereToday

another thing

Another handy thing would be to pack an extra pair of dry socks, especially in cold/inclement weather.

HereToday

Suture self

Oh, and by the way, thanks for the reminder about the needle and thread. Once our family was trekking through a stream, about knee deep, and my son had the misfortune of stepping on a broken bottle, leaving a very jagged laceration. We butterflied it, but if I would have had the means I would have sutured the wound.

NatureLover916

GREAT POST! a first aid kit is something we all think about but then its in the details that we forget some important needs! I'm adding all these great ideas to my first aid kit!

camperz

You are correct. It should be named "last-aid kit" :D
anyhow, I consider First aid kit as one of the most inevitable thing to be carried while camping.
We must not take chance. We must be prepared for any sort of medical problems.
Thanx for the list of must-add items.