Flashlight?

Grandpa

I still like a 2 cell AAA mag lite on the trail, a headlamp for night work around camp but the newest greatest gotta have is a LUCI light. On my latest trip last week, the luci did it all. The others never came out of the pack. Solar powered, near weightless, and it gives enough light to read by in the tent. It is a softer light so as not to create problems for neighbors. Great for around camp and just enough to see the trail when hiking. I'll still carry the mag for the trail and penetration but the luci will do the rest.

Simplify

At one point I also had a hand crank flashlight. It was fun to have along but eventually got taken out of the backpack for weight considerations.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I use a TerraLUX Infinistar rechargeable 300 lumen flashlight. Quite expensive and worth every penny.

Cappy

I cant remember a time I did not have a headlight. Even back in the day when they were heavy hooked to a steal hat with a battery ya hadda cary in a pouch. A few years ago I got one of those 20$ led ever ready ones and usually have it with me at all times. The batteries lasts over a month cause I aint a move around much after dark guy so they dont get lots of use. I shudder to think about all the lights I have in our camping gear. A million power spot light, a portable merc vapor spot light my pelican light flash light a trusty lil mag light, one of those crank lights and a short stubby led light in the camper. Oh yea:beer3: and my trusty head light. I'd think about whas in the jeep but I got tired thinking.:Smile2:

Gorge

I use a TerraLUX Infinistar rechargeable 300 lumen flashlight. Quite expensive and worth every penny.
How much did it cost you?
And what you guys using for lightning the camp. I thought about hanging one of those LED strips

dinosaur

troublemaker
That flashlight cost $70 but has a lifetime warranty as long as you don't drive over it with a bulldozer. The LED lightstrips work very well. I'd recommend those from a place called Super Bright LEDs.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I have a Black Diamond Storm, great headlamp. And a tiny Fenix light that uses one AAA and throws an amazing beam. In my backpacking gear is a Gerber Omnivore. The nice thing about it is that it can use AAs, AAAs and CR123 batteries. It's nice to have a flashlight that will use any battery you may have along with you.

I recently have been using an Olight headlight while hiking, and an Olight handheld that I keep in my pack. They work great and are not that expensive either.

janojebo

Petzl Tikka RXP Performance Headlamp
I bought this for my wife for Christmas. She goes running and walking before sunrise and likes to have a headlamp, even when she's in town. I really like the levels of brightness, the brightest is much brighter than any other LED headlamp we've ever owned. Nice that it can be charged via USB and a computer too. Not that we've exposed it to any inclement weather, but I just don't think it would fair very well in any amount of rain as there are open slots on the top as well as the USB charging connection (even though the USB port has a cover I don't think it's completely sealed). All in all though, for the price, this is a high quality rechargeable headlamp.

bibsoutdoors

I carry in my pack a Fenix TK51. It has four settings on food and four settings on spot. Throws out up to 1800 Lumens and lights things up for you. Runs on three 18650's so it's not one of those you hold in your mouth but it does fit nicely into your hands. With the way I camp, I've yet to run it down on my week long excursions. The batteries are Li-Ion rechargeable. I've been very happy with this mostly because as I've said, when you want to see what's out in front of you. . .this light gets the job done. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors

Happy Joe

Apprenntice Geezer
...Ahhhh, flashlights (arouses the little boy in me)...
I'm not a flashlight elitist...as long as it works well and lasts long enough, its good...
Tried many over the decades; now I use specific lights for specific purposes;
For every day pocket carry I need a small but adequate light; the pocket flash is a single AAA cell Dorcy (now obsolete, I believe;
https://www.dorcy.com/keychain-led-flashlight
is the closest that I can find).

For in tent quick access light (I tend to fumble around a lot when waking up) I use a three AA battery LED Tap light (just hit the center)... These are every where I got mine from wally mart.

... not really a flashlight... The main (LED) tent light is powered by the tent battery and is a 450+ lumen hanging globe fixture (same bulbs that I use at home),,,
Tent light.jpg

The vehicle flashlight is an LED retrofitted ex-military, D cell angle head flashlight (would probably run continuously for nearly a week; run time trumps all, IMO, for an emergency light) it also water resistant and too ugly to steal... (Its spring now so its time to renew the batteries)...

Tried several headlamps and while they work OK I wear a wide brimmed hat in the woods so they do not work well for me.

Cappy

Those lil Dorcy head lights are great for me 4 different settings one easy to use button and usually around 10$ When camping I use mine so often it just stays on my hat. I dont need a spot light that can blind a bear at 100 yards I like a wide defused light that shows me the souroundings while walking. They work great on my wide brimmed hat I just shape the front part down a lil.:beer3: