Flavored with Mustard

Snuggles

Any of you ever coated a roast or ribs with mustard and cooked it on a grill or an open fire? We used to do this years ago and it produced juicy meat with a tasty flavor. If the mustard was too much, then you just scrape it off and go from there. The flavor is still evident and it's still juicy. Hmmmm, this sounds like dinner tonight. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Cappy

When we fry fish we make a spicy mustard egg wash. The fish gets dusted with corn starch passed through the egg wash then breaded with seasoned corn flour and corn meal mixed. Wonderful taste and helps remove the strong fishy flavor from some fishies.

cabinfever

I'll have to try that next time I go camping. I never realized that mustard would seal the outside to keep the juices in. Actually, I may try it on something in the oven this week.

Barney

I've never done that but as one of my good friends likes to say: mustard is a kind of spice that you can use to spice up even the most disgusting foods like sole of an old boot. :D

Scotty

I've used it before, but it's just not to my taste. I'm a sugar junkie and love a honey barbecue flavor. That's usually what I go with after I've cooked the meat.

Grandpa

I smear mustard on my hotdog/sandwich and lick the knife. Can't wait to try snuggles idea this summer.

carmen

I am not a big mustard fan myself but my husband likes it every now and then. He prefers it mostly on brisket though which is again, something I am not fond of. Sometimes we take turns on who gets to cook what (it helps keep us even).

ponderosa

I'm with Carmen. There are few things I absolutely cannot eat, but mustard is one of them. Top of the list, actually. To me, it is the most vile tasting thing I've ever tried to eat. Instant gag reflex. Can't even stand the smell of it. I think it's so interesting that different people perceive the same food in different ways.

Snuggles

Ya'll have some great ideas using mustard. I especially like the mustard egg wash for fish Cappy. I will give that one a try for sure. I do use powdered mustard in my homemade BBQ sauce. On those rare occasions when I'm out, I'll use prepared mustard. It tastes about the same. Thanks folks!!

OutdoorMomma

Hubby likes to dump a bunch of mustard on shin sliced steak and cook it in a skillet. The kids hate it, but I don't think it's too bad. I might try coating a roast in it next time I have one.

NicholasDuMonde

Coat a rack of lamb chops with some dijon mustard, coat with finely chopped herbs mixed with plain bread crumbs, and enjoy!!!

Also, chicken breasts or thighs coated in dijon. There is just something about mustard and meat!

Blueskyy

Mustard goes really well with all kinds of meat. I really like Dijon mustard and honey on chicken. The mustard on thin sliced steak sounds really good. I am going to have to try that. :)