floats / bobbers

fireman

Do you have preference on the type of floats you use when fishing? Size, shape, the ones that flash? Do you change up for different conditions?

dinosaur

troublemaker
I use Thill brand slip bobbers. But, when I was a kid I used to make them out of pine, paint them red and white and cut a notch at one end to tie the line onto. They would lay flat on the water until a fish bit. Then they would stand up before going down.

Cappy

Different fishing technique. We sued small lead weights a couple inches above the hook this made the corks stand up if they didn't stand up it meant you were either on bottom or a underwater branch and not floating free.

jason

fear no beer
Which ever ones were on sale. ;) I have a few different types including the ones mentioned above and some eagle claw snap on floats. I have never used any that light up or anything like that.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I used to use the lighted ones to throw past the weed banks and catch the bass when shore fishing at night.

Grandpa

I'm not much of a fisherman but I have used a "castabubble" to pull a wetfly with a spinning outfit.

ppine

Forester
I agree with Gandpa. For cold water species the clear cast bubble works. For half a night crawler that looks like a leech, I like to inflate the worm with a syringe and use a slip weight. I rarely use any other type of bobber or float.