For all of us east-coasters facing the approaching hurricane...

Pathfinder1

Hi...

For all of us East-coasters who are facing the anticipated hurricane coming our way...I hope you heed this little tip:

If you are not on city water (and even if you are), fill up a bathtub with water. When the power goes out, that water can be used for flushing toilets, washing dishes, etc. (maybe even putting out a fire!). You'll be glad that you did that.

Grandpa

And don't forget to throw the circuit breaker on the hot water heater before you use the 50 gals that it holds. If the tank is empty when the power comes on, it will burn out the elements immediately. (this is actually to remind you there is 50 gals there)

I keep a 3 ft section of hose coiled next to the heater just for obtaining the water in an emergency.

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

And don't forget to throw the circuit breaker on the hot water heater before you use the 50 gals that it holds. If the tank is empty when the power comes on, it will burn out the elements immediately. (this is actually to remind you there is 50 gals there)

I keep a 3 ft section of hose coiled next to the heater just for obtaining the water in an emergency.

Hi...

Good call, Grandpa.

ChadTower

Most people here just go to a Holiday Inn if they have no power. They aren't hardy at all.

Me, my house is on city water, so all we lose is hot if the power goes out. I'm much more concerned about the electric blower on my furnace. I have a decent indoor kerosene heater to use if needed.

Cappy

Good advice on the water yall. us countryboy camper types usually have no trouble off the grid. I always have half a doxen propane bottles around several cooking burners, camp stoves. Plenty lanterns, etc in short camping geer that works great for huricane weather. My heart and prayers go out to you guys and I feel comfident that your camping skills will serve ya well. Take it from someone that has rode out many a storm.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Pathfinder1

Good advice on the water yall. us countryboy camper types usually have no trouble off the grid. I always have half a doxen propane bottles around several cooking burners, camp stoves. Plenty lanterns, etc in short camping geer that works great for huricane weather. My heart and prayers go out to you guys and I feel comfident that your camping skills will serve ya well. Take it from someone that has rode out many a storm.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Hi...

Thanks, Cappy...!!

Cappy

Livin' down here in huricane country we always make several preperations before storm season. We take in 6 cases of gallon water jugs, and fill up the resivoir on our lil mini camper. We make sure the cabinets are full of can goods and dry goods. in the house and camper. The first thing that happens even before the storm all te stores empty. After katrina it was over 4 weeks before the stores were open again. we cant aford one of those big run ya whole house generators, so we go with a amall one that can run fridge freezer and camper. yes camper. it only draws less than 20 amps and that mostly for the ac. Here is a lil video Peg made after Huricane Gustav a week after the storm we were told teh road to town was open so we jumped in tinkerbayl and headed to town. As ya can see the walmart was still mostly empty thankfully though they had the necessities I needed. water coffee and beer:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Hurricana Gustav Aftermath - YouTube

Cappy

Frankenstorm

I of course would never wish a storm on anyone but b eing a weather watcher I love watching storms. This one has the potential to become a frankenstorm a term that refers to a halloween time period when the conditions are right for a perfect storm. As the storm aproaches so does a cold front. The hurricane has wind from the north on its west side due to the counter clockwise rotation. What this does is pull the artic air way further south than usual and causes a noreaster. The effects down here is we get north wind with gusts to 40 mph or so at the worst. and temperature plumits :tinysmile_fatgrin_t This is a very good thing far as I am concerned they are predicting a 20 - 25 degree temperature drop and the high for today is posed to be like 65F yea!!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

_Jack

Livin' down here in huricane country we always make several preperations before storm season. We take in 6 cases of gallon water jugs, and fill up the resivoir on our lil mini camper. We make sure the cabinets are full of can goods and dry goods. in the house and camper. The first thing that happens even before the storm all te stores empty. After katrina it was over 4 weeks before the stores were open again. we cant aford one of those big run ya whole house generators, so we go with a amall one that can run fridge freezer and camper. yes camper. it only draws less than 20 amps and that mostly for the ac. Here is a lil video Peg made after Huricane Gustav a week after the storm we were told teh road to town was open so we jumped in tinkerbayl and headed to town. As ya can see the walmart was still mostly empty thankfully though they had the necessities I needed. water coffee and beer:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Hurricana Gustav Aftermath - YouTube
Great video Cappy! Thanks for sharing. :)

JeepThrills

I would also advise getting several gallons of drinking water. If there is flooding and it affects the water plant OR the ground caves in and pipes burst --- you will usually get an alert telling you to not drink the water. We had this happen when the 150 year flood came here even though it was only in certain areas.

hummingbird

I have always made sure the gas grill has a full tank too. When we had a power outage of a couple of weeks, we used the grill to cook everything. I even made biscuits on the grill. Cornbread was easy in an iron skillet and we used the contents of our freezer. It was cold enough we could put the meat from the freezer outside to stay frozen and used it from there. I hate to see another storm come in, it really sets my teeth on edge.

campclose

We don't live in hurricane/tornado areas! Hurricane Sandy just stinks! We should not be having any problem but we are right in the path too. I'm in the country though so we have a well. We also have a crick out back so if we lose water we can get buckets of water from the crick.

charley

I live between Pburgh and Erie. Just wondering what we will really get. There is always lots of food here. We might put up more water. Campstoves and lanterns would come in handy if needed. The weather folks are so full of crap trying to forcast fear over a normal storm that I tend to ignore them. I'll watch the sattalite maps and radar.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Just checked Weather Channel forecast for this area. From one to two three inches of rain from this pee em to tomorrow pee em. Sustained winds from 30 to 40 with gusts from 50 to as high as 70.

Have put water bottles in freezer compartment to help keep it cold during expected power outage, also in fridge.

Won't have any heat, but don't expect it will be necessary.

Very severe flooding is expected in flood prone towns and areas, per past experience. Much evacuation/emergency evacuation expected in those areas.

PS...All local schools in this and nearby Counties are closed.

Last edited:

campclose

My daughter was excited that they might have a "power outage" day off from school. Maybe tomorrow I told her. Its raining pretty good here right now but no high winds yet.