Fort Pierre National Grassland

bsmit212

I will be driving out to MT from GA this summer. I am looking as possibly stopping one night have Fort Pierre National Grassland, and had two quick questions

1) has anyone been there or know anything about it?

2) the FS website has the below about camping. I read this as we can park and camp anywhere we want up to 30 feet off any desiganted road, but never been to an area like this. Am I reading this right?

Visitors will have the opportunity to hike into areas without road access to pitch tents and those that prefer to sleep in their campers will be allowed to park up to 30 feet off any desiganted road on the Grassland.

ppine

Forester
bsmit,
The management of Federal lands varies widely. Grasslands usually receive little use compared to parks, monuments and USFS lake sites. I used to visit the Nat Grasslands in CO and WY especially in spring because they were in bloom then and warmer than the mountains. Depending on the weather, eastern MT can be really hot as in well over 100 degrees. Sometimes they get summer rains and stay green and lush, but sometimes they get pretty dormant and look like fall wheat ready to harvest.