Great Canoe Reads

Northern Dancer

The winter has been long.

We have had a lot of snow in our region coupled with wind blasts, ice storms, and blizzards, and I just got to stop right there. Other than reading my journals and doing a little planning and purchasing some new equipment for the season I took to reading; sort of preparing. If you are into some gut-wrenching adventure I'm sure one of these will be of interest.

3422 3423 3424 All True Stories of Adventure

THE TWENTY-NINTH DAY
I couldn't put this one down. It's a true story about Alex who is mauled by a grizzly while on a 600-mile canoe trip in the Canadian wilderness. This is a seventeen-year-old's dream adventure, but after he is mauled by a grizzly, it's all about staying alive.

A LONG PADDLE HOME
Not knowing what he is paddling into Steven Stiles unwittingly engages forces that will alter the very essence of what he believed he was.

ALONE AGAINST THE NORTH
Is a classic adventure story of single-minded obsession, physical hardship, and the restless sense of wonder that every explorer has in common.

ppine

Forester
Good ones. I liked the "The 29th day."
Anything by Verlen Kruger, the McGuffins, Eric Severid.
Stories of long trips are captivating. I am too old now, but always planned a long trip in the North. Not going to happen. Now I usually wear out after about a week or so.

Northern Dancer

Good ones. I liked the "The 29th day."
Anything by Verlen Kruger, the McGuffins, Eric Severid.
Stories of long trips are captivating. I am too old now, but always planned a long trip in the North. Not going to happen. Now I usually wear out after about a week or so.
-----> I was bemoaning to a friend that I was getting older and canoeing was becoming more difficult. He said to me, "Well then, slow down - but keep going." My days of long extended trips have come to an end too but the little ones still capture the imagination and make it all worthwhile. I'm going to be checking our Kruger and Severid.

Last edited:

Roybrew

I love true stories like those. I look for that type of books at the stores when I go. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

ppine

Forester
Canoeing is more difficult. Getting in an out of boats is harder. Paddling is harder. There can a lot of stuff to haul around. Thirty mile days seem more out of reach. But going out there is important.

We have more lay over days and don't travel. I float with the current more now. We don't travel as far.

To be honest, I now have a keen interest in using drift boats for over night trips. They are wide and stable, which makes them good for bringing dogs and getting up and moving around. They haul about the same as a big canoe.

Roybrew

Oh wow! Got this book in the mail last weekIMG_20220415_022919678.jpg don't tell anyone that I'm reading it at work. My employer frowns on any thing other then looking like a zombie and being miserable while at my work station. If I was to look like I was happy, they would drug test me.

Anyhow I have just started reading. I am a slow reader. But I love imagining how it would feel to be dropped off so far out away from civilization. Thanks for the suggestion.
Roy

Northern Dancer

Oh wow! Got this book in the mail last weekView attachment 3427 don't tell anyone that I'm reading it at work. My employer frowns on any thing other then looking like a zombie and being miserable while at my work station. If I was to look like I was happy, they would drug test me.

Anyhow I have just started reading. I am a slow reader. But I love imagining how it would feel to be dropped off so far out away from civilization. Thanks for the suggestion.
Roy

-----> Everything is going along as planned then all of a sudden...

When I was reading, I immediately picked up on two crucial errors Alex made. Let me know when you spot them. Until then I'll keep them a secret. Two - a might two. :Rolleyes:

Northern Dancer

Okay -----> now for my answer. Considering their ages the young crew were incredibly talented. I certainly did not have that kind of skill at that age. From my personal experience, we are never perfect. There are situations and circumstances that happen beyond our control that challenge the very core of our skill level.

The first error I noted was they didn't seem to have whistles. I have a screamer whistle that can be heard far better than my voice. It would have been helpful if Alex had one. The second error - you are never alone in bear/grizzly country; if you can prevent that. You never leave camp without people knowing it and they need to know where you are and when you are coming back. They apparently had bear spray in camp, but Alex did not have it on him at the time.

I'm I being picky? Not really, we learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others. Like St. John's Cathedral School - the Leadership [and they were well known for their skill level] headed out on a dastardly canoe trip using their recognized war canoes on Lake Timiskaming. The whole circumstance was horrible. Twelve young people [ages 12 to 14] died on that trip and one volunteer leader. Twelve of them from hypothermia and one from drowning. The hairs on the back of my neck stiffen every time I read any report. You can read the account - "Deep Waters" by James Raffan, it's not for the faint-hearted.

Roybrew

I'm a slow reader. I'm enjoying how their trip is going so far. Their struggles with food shortage, storms and rough water. I'm not up to the part where he disturbs the poor ole grizzly bear foraging for food. Just imagine being some poor ole bear trying to be quiet and catch some dinner and then this loud teenage human comes up toward you, not paying a bit of attention, and scares off your soon to be dinner. I'd swat him too. Got look at it from the bears perspective right? I haven't got that far yet. Don't tell me me what happens either...... naaww naaww I ain't listening.

Northern Dancer

I'm a slow reader. I'm enjoying how their trip is going so far. Their struggles with food shortage, storms and rough water. I'm not up to the part where he disturbs the poor ole grizzly bear foraging for food. Just imagine being some poor ole bear trying to be quiet and catch some dinner and then this loud teenage human comes up toward you, not paying a bit of attention, and scares off your soon to be dinner. I'd swat him too. Got look at it from the bears perspective right? I haven't got that far yet. Don't tell me me what happens either...... naaww naaww I ain't listening.

-----> "You are in for a surprise.

Roybrew

That was a very good book! I just finished it. I think they were to careless, or maybe blase' with respect to possible dangers, would be more appropriate? Losing the canoe was a big mistake. My heart went out to Dan as well as Alex. Dan being the leader saddled with the responsibility of caring for Alex. It must've weighed heavily on Dan. They were an extraordinary group of young guys.

Roybrew

I finished Alone Against the North by Adam Shoalts, and ordered his other book Beyond the Trees
Yep I've got it in the tool box here at work. In this book Adam travels across northern Canada from near Alaska to the Hudson Bay. He was doing this for Canada's 250th sesquicentennial, I had to look that up. This was in 2017 do you remember this @Northern Dancer ?

I just started this book, so I'm assuming he made it. I figure if a Polar bear ate him, it wouldn't have been published.

Northern Dancer

Correctional 150th anniversary.

-----> Good for you - the date change [you know I would pick it up. :00: ] There were a lot of initiatives for the 150th and one of them was the creation/completion of the great trail. I look up the book today. My summer is still a little stilted but there is a trip to Minna and Red Spruce Lake coming soon. Thanks for sharing.

Roybrew

Oh that's right, I remember you posting about the Great Trail. Wow time flies. Hard to believe I've been on here that long, or should I say hard to believe you all put up with me for that long.
Roy

Northern Dancer

Oh that's right, I remember you posting about the Great Trail. Wow time flies. Hard to believe I've been on here that long, or should I say hard to believe you all put up with me for that long.
Roy

...you are the backbone of the site, along with a hand full of others. If it wasn't for people like you Outdoor Basecamp would lose its shine and twinkle. :Hail:

ppine

Forester
Just finished "Where Rivers Run" by the McGuffins for about the third time.
"The Emerald Mile" is more about dories, but a great book for anyone.
"River" by Colin Fletcher is one I go back and read certain chapters. The story of running the
Green and Colorado Rivers from their source to Mexico.
Anything by Bill Mason.

Northern Dancer

Just finished "Where Rivers Run" by the McGuffins for about the third time.
"The Emerald Mile" is more about dories, but a great book for anyone.
"River" by Colin Fletcher is one I go back and read certain chapters. The story of running the
Green and Colorado Rivers from their source to Mexico.
Anything by Bill Mason.
=====> Bill Mason? He became a legend in his own time. Interesting reads and adventure videos. Becky, his daughter, seems to be carrying on.