Grumpy Old Men/Women Social Thread

Judy Ann

What is it about getting out and about in the summer that makes us ponder our own mortality?

One of the differences that turning 55 made for me was looking at the bucket list and making a few adjustments, but anytime outside just makes me more grateful for the splendor of our universe and yet another trail to wander. When I can no longer hike I'll return to fishing! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

wvbreamfisherman

I'm 57 now and still able to do the things I love. Got a nice long backpack trip in Memorial Day week, and an 11 mile canoe float Father's Day. Still hoping to get couple weekend car camping /hiking/ fishing trips in this summer. Already counting the days til a weekend flyfishing/backpacking trip at the end of September.

Better to wear out than to rust!

Judy Ann

WVbreamfisherman, How does that new kayak of yours handle in the water? Are you able to fish from it?

Pathfinder1

Hi...

This month the two numbers in my age will total 11.

Ain't ready for the rocking chair on the porch yet, though. But, will be doing less UTE camping and maybe more fishing. Will always be fiddling around with something, though. :violin: :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

jason

fear no beer
I'm only 33, or is it 34, well I'm in my 30's. But I'm out of whiskey, well, bottles I will open. So can I have the grumpy part?

Also, I'm not ready to give up fishing for hiking, why can't I have both?

Judy Ann

Yes we do Coz, but we aren't excluding women in this age group are we?!! Someone has to keep the stories honest!

Something must be wrong, mine add up to 10!

Judy Ann

I'm only 33, or is it 34, well I'm in my 30's. But I'm out of whiskey, well, bottles I will open. So can I have the grumpy part?

Also, I'm not ready to give up fishing for hiking, why can't I have both?
Lol! I'd be grumpy too, but you could always crack open another bottle!:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Why give up anything unless it was for some ailment and only temporarily? :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
dinosaur;
Mine only add up to 9. Most of the women I know seem to think this about right. Attitude is everything.

You're eighty-one? WOW...!! :tinysmile_twink_t2:
No. I'm 126 and attribute my longevity to not listening to women tell me they set the standards for honesty.

wvbreamfisherman

Hi Judy Ann. The kayak performs pretty well. It tracks nicely and is relatively speedy. If I were to build another one, I think I'd slim it down a couple inches and put a trifle more rocker in it. I need a slightly longer paddle to get a good stroke because of the broad beam at the cockpit.

It turns fairly easily, too.

Haven't tried fishing from it yet, but I don't think it would be a problem. I'm still working out the seat, coaming and footrests, but I paddled it for a couple hours, using a boat cushion for a seat (the cushion is a little unforgiving for my old butt- I think I'll round up a gel pad to go on top).

All in all I'm pretty satisfied. My next project is probably going to be a skin-on-frame canoe. I found a good book with a nice set of plans, and still have plenty of fabric left over from the kayak project.

Haven't been doing much outside. It's Africa-hot here, and we were without power from Friday evening until Tuesday evening (we got the power back on just in time to save the contents of the deep-freeze, but lost all the stuff in the refrigerator). We were very lucky- lots and lots of people around here still don't have power.

How badly did you get hit?

Judy Ann

Hi WVbreamfisherman!

I can't believe the extent of damage from that storm and how long it's taking to get the power going during one of the hottest weeks this year. Do neighbors get together to cook up and use items from their refrigerators before they spoil? I'm glad that the contents of the freezer were okay.

It sounds as if the tweaking on the kayak is going well. Will you purchase a new paddle or make your own? What a nice way to enjoy the hot summer days!

I'm going to Grayson Highlands,VA next weekend camping for the first time since injuring my back three months ago. We'll be at a group site instead of hiking the AT which seems odd for a group of backpackers. I didn't fully appreciate how much I enjoyed getting out and about until I was sidelined. I always feel like I'm enjoying Heaven-on-Earth whenever I'm able to get out and enjoy nature. Wooohoooo! Back on the road again!

wvbreamfisherman

Some people did the group cookouts, but we didn't I was running back and forth to the hospital, since my wife had surgery the day the storm hit.

As far as paddles go, I'm getting ready to make a greenland-style paddle. Not sure how well I'll like it, but it won't cost much and will be a fun project in itself.

The plans call for making it out of a single board, but I'm going to laminate a couple clear pine boards together with waterproof glue. I think it will be stronger and less likely to warp.

Glad to hear that you're able to get back out camping. Never been to the Grayson Highlands, although I've been in that neck of the woods on I-81.

I'm hoping to manage a weekender to the Red River Gorge in Kentucky before the snow flies. I'd set up a base camp and do some of the trails.

For now, it's off to mow grass, stake tomatoes and weed the garden before it gets too hot.

Have a great weekend!

Pathfinder1

Judy Ann;
Hi WVbreamfisherman!

I'm going to Grayson Highlands,VA next weekend camping for the first time since injuring my back three months ago. We'll be at a group site instead of hiking the AT which seems odd for a group of backpackers. I didn't fully appreciate how much I enjoyed getting out and about until I was sidelined. I always feel like I'm enjoying Heaven-on-Earth whenever I'm able to get out and enjoy nature. Wooohoooo! Back on the road again!

Hi...

Best of luck, Judy Ann...!!