Hand Made Gear Places?

Barney

I really think more people should engage in crafting stuff to sell commercially. I'm talking about those that have the skill. I know a guy that makes phenomenal Kydex custom knife sheaths. He's not cheap but his work is exceptional Chestnut Ridge Knife Shop - Online Store.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

There's another knife case maker...using leather...who also makes custom cases. They also are not inexpensive. Called Hedgehog Leatherworks. Never held one in my hand, but what I've seen on his site appeared to be very well done.

He also designed a "survival"-type knife which is made by Ontario knife works.

I've heard of other one-person operations who make wooden utensils, other items made from wood, bone, leather, furs, etc. Crafts type of people.

Bojib

I'd say many people don't want to turn a hobby into work, and that's why they don't choose to sell commercially.

I come from a long line of crafts people, many in my family make their own jewelry, covers, tools, clothes, furniture, etc. They'll make stuff to sell at annual festivals, more so to show off than to really make a living from it.

Most agree it's just too much hassle to really go commercial with their hobbies.

If you can find a crafts person that works in the particular area of what you are wanting, it's usually not to hard to talk them in to making what you want. Or better yet, having them help you make it yourself.

I'm sure it's very regional though. A lot of the old ways of life are still preserved in the generation of folks that live in this area.

ChadTower

I'd say many people don't want to turn a hobby into work, and that's why they don't choose to sell commercially.

100% agreed. I restore pinball and arcade games as a hobby. I have had multiple opportunities to turn that into a part time job to probably make my hobby financially self sufficient. I always decline. I enjoy my hobby. As soon as I added timelines and customers it would become a whole lot less enjoyable.

Barney

Hi...

There's another knife case maker...using leather...who also makes custom cases. They also are not inexpensive. Called Hedgehog Leatherworks. Never held one in my hand, but what I've seen on his site appeared to be very well done.

I've heard of other one-person operations who make wooden utensils, other items made from wood, bone, leather, furs, etc. Crafts type of people.
I don't want to carry leather, no matter how cool it looks. It behaves and looks awful when soaking wet. Kydex, nylon or any other synthetic material is good.

Gondor

I know that on blade forums you can find a lot of craftsmen, not only for sheaths but for tools as well. Some of them are just excellent!

oldsarge

Leather isn't all that bad. My old K-Bar lasted years in the jungle with the same leather sheath. You are correct thought, leather does loose it glamour when wet and dirty.

oldsarge

Hi...

I really like their leather works and the new knife (Blackbird SK-5) they are selling is impressive. I wouldn't mind having one. There sheaths, even though constructed well are a little pricey for me. I also like the Tracker knife.

http://www.hedgehogleatherworks.com/

Last edited:

Barney

Barney,
What do you make?
I forgot to answer. I make all sorts of things from paracord and bankline. I got pretty good at braiding but I don't have plans to sell because there are a lot of people that offer these things online.

shaun

I think most people with these unique skills are not interested in making money, they do it because they enjoy doing it and selling the gear to make money would take the joy away for some people and the buying demand is limited because of the price.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Someone asked me once, "why don't you fix computers for money, you're pretty good with them?"
I don't, because I like playing around with the stuff. I don't want to turn fun into work. Besides, if I screw up your computer and you're paying me for it, now I invested the time and have to give you the money back.
I wouldn't mind selling pictures, but I'd never want to be a wedding or portrait photographer, imagine working with all those brides and brats? No thanks.