Hard to Reproduce Gear

Gondor

My rule of thumb is that I never forget to bring gear and tools that are very hard to reproduce in the wild. That includes cutting tools like knife, saw and an axe, containers and fire tools.

Barney

I would like to add more more thought to your rule. Redundancy is also smart when it comes to these tools. All tools break and it is wise to bring extras just in case.

hummingbird

I always bring the gear. I could count on one hand the number of times my husband pack up the vehicle for us all to go camping. If something is forgotten, you can blame me because I probably packed up.

ppine

Forester
Over the years I have forgotten lots of things on trips, and it has been easy to get along without them with a few exceptions- matches, water equipment and cutting edges.

Grandpa

Two backpacks? No way, two sleeping bags? No way. Two bics, no way, I always have three and waterproof matches in zip lock.

What Ppine said is spot on. Go out some night with just these three things and see how little discomfort you really feel. It does wonders for your self confidence to know you can curl up in a snowbank (providing you were well dressed for daytime snow conditions) and still get some sleep.