Heater while camping

Erwin

I am unsure of the safety of space heaters while camping in a tent or trailer since were are going on a trip in a few weeks. Are quartz heaters suitable for outdoor use?

Thumper

Well, if you have a camper or pop up, a small ceramic heater would work quite well if you are connected with electricity. I've never used anything but a campfire when we are camping but then we usually don't camp in cold weather.

FireBuilder

You also worry about carbon monoxide if you use kerosene type heaters indoors. Quartz heaters don't have that problem, but you have to be careful since you are in a confined area.

SAR Guy

Search & Rescue.
We have a Zodi tent heater, works great. They are in the process of doing a redesign right now, and should be back on the market soon.

paloma

We don't go camping during cold weather. There is too much risk to health and safety. You must think twice especially if there are children to go with.

Wrdslngr

Have used heaters in the past, but a better bet is to get a very good sleeping bag and stay in it until you're ready to get moving.

S

Skylo

Coleman and Mr.heater makes portable camping heater.This site
The Tent Air Conditioner has a good review chart.

troutstalker

A sleeping pad, two sleeping bags one inside the other and a couple of chemical handwarmers in the foot end to keep your feet warm! Cold weather paddling/camping is great! No people or bugs to nag you!

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I'll second the no heater... I hammock tent, and I've gone down to about 20 degrees. The underquilt, fleece liner, and top quilt have been all the heat I need. I love winter camping, because there's less people out, no need for bug nets, and campfires feel good (last trip I was on it was 80 degrees and someone lit a fire. Seriously? I don't want to sweat more!)
I do take chemical hand warmers for emergency use, but I haven't used one yet.

sampaater

which type of heater's we can carry with us?
becoz i felt very cold when I out of the house.

ppine

Forester
Mr. Heaters are safe but don't throw much heat. A lean-to with a fire or a wood stove in a canvas tent have worked for hundreds of years.

Reactions: FSR

ppine

Forester
I have lived in a wall tent for a month running a tree planting crew. Having a wood stove changes everything especially when it snows. You can dry out all of your clothes and bedding and move around in a wall tent, even in weather below zero.

For short snow camping trips, I like the lean-to and a fire.

I really can't stand lying in a little mountaineering tent in a sleeping bag for 14 hours in the dark.