HI OH SILVER

Northern Dancer

Ever had a trip for sanity's sake you cancelled and didn't apologize for the same?

I had this gnawing sensation that this lackadaisically planned trip was going to be a disaster and my reputation would be severely dented for taking part in a crash trip.

Do you know what I'm talking about?
It's those times when a buddy calls and says, "What are ya doin tomorrow?" And you respond with a hesitant, "I don't know...what are we doing tomorrow?" "Going north!" "Going north?" I said. "Ya." "Let's do it.
"

It's tomorrow already and we are scooting down the highway or is that up, at a brisk pace at five AM. I don't have a good feeling about this adventure but my senses are high with anticipation. "Have you got everything?" "Aw...what do you mean do I have everything? You packed the van. All I bought was my gear...we did put the canoe on the rack, right?" "I guess we need to stop and pick up some grub," Doug says, still enthusiastic. "Food?" I haven't even thought of a menu plan, I thought you were going to do that?" "Oh," he says, "You usually have one all ready to go." "No, I don't." "That's okay," he says, "We can wing it." Ya know Doug, I don't like to wing anything anymore."

There's an uncomfortable silence as we continue to barrel down the road. The time is awkward and the blaring music doesn't help the situation.

We have been on the road for two and a half hours and I'm glad when we reach the little town of West Lorne where we planned to stop and have breakfast. There is a Foodland grocery store beside the restaurant where we pull in and park. Doug turns the ignition off and reaches around to his backside to retrieve his wallet. He has this quirky look on his face as he places his hands back on the steering wheel. There's a slight pause and he finally turns to me and says, "Gee, I can't believe it, I forgot my wallet!" "You forgot your wallet, how is that possible?" "Ya, I'm really sorry."

It was at that precise moment this brilliant escape plan flashed into my mind. "Really?" "Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news..aw, err, I didn't want to alarm you or anything, but, I left my wallet on the kitchen table."

He stared out the front window watching raindrops beginning to fall on the windshield. For a moment he taps his fingers on the dashboard, then turns on the ignition, and without a Hi Ho Silver, he eases the van back out onto the highway. "Where are we going?" I said in a dejected tone. "Home," he says. "We are going home". I turned slightly, looked out the side window to see the day turning grey...and smiled.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
A friend taught me the value of spontaneous trips. Sometimes 24 hours with the right friends is all you . My friend called and said what are you doing tomorrow? Hi Plan was to go up to Ebbet's Pass and have dinner on the tailgate and watch the sunset. Then we slept in the trucks, got up early started cutting fire wood. After we each had a truck load we came home. Best short I have ever had.

Northern Dancer

I like that response Pine. I remember I was tired, exhausted, and ready to jump off a bridge. So I packed a few things, got in my van, and headed 5 1/2 hours north to a small cabin I'd been using on Gaunt's Bay. I made a fire, cooked supper, stayed the evening, and had a great sleep that night. I was on the road early morning and back to the office in time for 8:30. That short time away did more for me than anything. I felt refreshed and ready to go. Shortly after that, I planned a three-dayer which was even better.