Hiking At Night!

Stargazer

I don't care for night hiking. I have trouble not tripping over tree roots in the daylight. No way I'm going to chance it at night.

Rosepetals

I would be too afraid to go hiking at night. As soon as the sun starts to go down, I am heading back home. Hiking at night is just not something I am ready for yet, haha.

featherloosa

I think that hiking is a lot more peaceful at night, though when I wander around, there'd best be a bright moon to keep me from tripping over everything. I only do it occasionally, and always with a buddy. We don't really have a set destination for these trips though, and just wander around listening to the night sounds.

Blazer

Not by choice. I've come close when I've underestimated the time a hike will take, especially now that the days are growing shorter...so I make sure to bring a headlamp with me just in case. But I'd rather hike by day and camp or be home at dark. One big thing for me with hiking is enjoying the scenery, so I'd rather be doing it when I can see. I prefer to enjoy the night time at a campsite, by the fire.

Blazer

Hiking in the snow under a full moon sounds cool..I'll have to try that! I just purchased some crampons so plan to expand on my winter hiking.

As for the Jeep...well when it snows, out it goes! Often carrying my skis..
Pisses me off when they plow the roads and spoils the fun!

67032_106263589568536_1001356457_n.jpg

oldsarge

I should have been more clear in my previous post; in the woods after a snow fall and full moon. There's a nice eerie glow to everything and the lack of greenery allows for a great view.

vinovampire

I used to avoid hiking at night. The trails where I live tend to be rocky, root-bound, steep and wet. As the sun went down, I use to find myself rushing to make camp or get back to the trailhead. I always hike with at least one headlamp, but I still avoid night hiking.

This past year I've really been focusing on going out at night to get more comfortable with going out on the trails at night. My friends and I have done quite a few night hikes this summer. It's been great.

The mountaintop sunsets are amazing. Hiking at night with headlamps has been a blast. And it's nice to hike without crowds under the moonlight and stars. Pretty much a win all around!

ponderosa

We sometimes ski a few miles into a yurt after dark, mostly because it gets dark early in the winter and we can't leave until hubby is home from work. If there is a good moon reflecting off the snow, there is plenty of light. It's peaceful and beautiful. One night we did this when it was -15 F. Luckily it was only a few miles, and the yurt had a good wood stove and nice supply of firewood. One of my favorite memories now. I've backpacked in the dark a few times as well, again because we couldn't leave until late in the day. I've only done that on familiar trails, and not in grizzly country. Since most places around here are grizzly country, I don't do much night hiking, at least not on purpose. I got pretty spooked one fall evening in Yellowstone when we didn't finish the hike before dark. I was hiking along quickly, worrying about bears with senses on high alert, when a bunch of elk crashed through the trees just a few yards away. Scared the crap out of me.

Grandpa

Bears are the reason I like my mini mag lights in my hand when hiking at night. I can flash to the sides easier and the beam will pick up the eyes a good 1/4 mile out. It is the rattle snakes I worry about in the dark. In snake country, I hit the sack earlier and move slowly if I do have a nature call at night.

Northern Dancer

...I was heading up a youth conference and we decided to take the crew for a starry night hike. After awhile, Dave, my assistant said, "Do you know where we are?" "What?" I retorted, "I thought you knew where we are." "No" he said. "WE'RE LOST! We continued on like we knew where we were going and after awhile we came out onto a spooky country road. The group congregated at the end of a long winding driveway that led to an estate home. As we debated and negotiated in the wee hours of the morning which way to go we were suddenly surrounded by police cars that seem to come out of know where. "Okay, okay" said the officer "whose in charge?" I stepped out from the stunned crowd and announced who I was and how we got to be there. It all worked out fine accept the incident report landed on the desk of the Bishop.

Grandpa

Last spring, we took a bunch of scouts into the southern Utah canyons. Our final night, we hiked into Lower Calf Creek Falls, just in time for a full moon to rise and shine directly onto the falls. The lower falls is a direct 130 foot fall over the Navajo sandstone into a large deep pool. The semi porous sandstone is home to various colored algae and mineral stains creating a beautiful panorama of colors during the day. When that desert full moon hit that wall, complete with a "moonbow", the boy's and us leaders sat spellbound. Needless to say, it was a quiet, thoughtful 3 mile hike back to the trailhead. To this day, this highly experienced group still revere that night.

Northern Dancer

...I would be spellbound too. What a fabulous experience and one that will not soon be forgotten. On one occasion when we had our Venturers out [guys from 14 to 18] we canoed out into the middle of Burnt Island Lake at the stroke of midnight with a moon shinning down like a lighthouse spotlight. We coupled the canoes together and in the silence and sanctity of the night celebrated the Eucharist.

Glad to hear that you are still involved - I've always enjoyed being with Scouting People - I find them wholesome.

Cappy

I havent done much hiking at night but have spent countless hours in a boat fishing, frog hunting or just paddling slowly enjoying the night sights and sounds. An oft doe experience is to night fish on the bank of the Mississippi river. drift wood fire behind ya and starry sky and occasional river traffic in front of ya. Pan fried fish and camp fire cofffee can be great fun. The only way to go in summer heat

dinosaur

troublemaker
Hiking at night has much to do with ambient light. Star light will work but moonlight is much better. A full moon will provide great light in the woods. I have walked through some areas and even chased game well after dark. It is exhilarating but also dangerous

Be careful in the dark. The beasts come out at night.

And so do I.

Northern Dancer

...haven't done a lot of hiking at night - usually a short jaunt at best. But I have canoed on a moonlight night. We took advantage of the sleek flat waters of the river to get back to base camp. The only thing we heard was the swish of the paddle and the droplets falling back into the drink and a few night sounds. Actually - it was exhilarating as we sauntered our way along. It was one of those endearing moments enjoyed by all.

ppine

Forester
Last month I was backpacking in the Sierra and around midnight some guy ran below our camp with a headlamp. He did not say hello and just kept on going. I thought that was really strange. Who runs on rough ground at night? My dog let us know the guy was coming way before we noticed him.

Northern Dancer

...we would rarely venture onto the river at night. It had to be a full moon so we could see all the landmarks clearly. We were dead silent as we glided over the surface and scurried to base camp. I had Blazer on the trip and he stood majestically at the bow staring into the distance without making a sound.

Roybrew

I haven't done much night time hiking, but there was one time my wife and I took a day hike that started in the darkness of early morning. It was only a 10 mile hike, but we wanted to be down around 1pm for our 3 hour drive home.

The waning moon put out enough light so I didn't need my headlamp. It was a little cold up in the mountains at that hour, but sounds were very hightened in the dark crisp morning air. The sounds of a small stream cascading over and around rocks sounded like a raging river. I could hear squirrels or small creatures scurrying through the underbrush as tho it was right beside me. I love sounds at night. Sometimes I scare myself a little, and I enjoy that.