Hiking Shoes

ArkansasMom

We go hiking quite often. Right now I am hiking in tennis shoes and I have rolled my ankle a few times trying to climb up high rocks. I realize now that I need a pair of hiking boots. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Grandpa

A pair that fits
Even the best will tear your feet up if the fit is wrong. There are many good brands. I would suggest rather than looking for "THE brand" look for a retailer that has the capability of fitting you correctly. And be sure to try them with the sock arrangement you will be using when you hike. The socks are extremely important as well, especially in a boot. Different people like different arrangements. I'm fine with just a medium weight merino wool sock, while others like a liner and a lighter sock. Some even go with just two liners. Above all, remember that cotton is rotten for hiking.

I gave up on boots many years ago (preferring low cut hikers) but I have heavy ankles. If you are rolling yours then boots probably are a must.

vinovampire

As a kid I used to always hike in sneakers. When I started "really hiking" I started wearing really nice, full-leather hiking boots. Oddly enough, I found that I was rolling my ankles quite often. I assumed I must not have strong ankles and needed the boots.

After a quite few years of hiking in boots, I heard about people hiking in light weight running sneakers, so I decided to give it a try. I found it much better on my ankles. I think there were a few issues with the boots. They were heavier and stiffer, and my legs would get more worn out as I hiked. The stiffness of the boots meant that they wouldn't shape to the rock, but would instead roll. And because there was some small illusion of ankle support, I would be less careful with my ankles. I've been wearing light weight footwear for years now and it's been great.

My suggestion is to strengthen your ankles with ankle raises and other strength building exercises. When you're hiking, if you start to feel tired or a bit "out of control", slow down and take a break. Focus on careful foot placement as you walk. Also, consider trekking poles. I find that they take a lot of pressure off my legs, meaning my legs get less tired over the same distance.

Those are my thoughts. If you find that you still really need ankle support, you may want to consult with a doctor and get real ankle braces. Good luck and happy hiking!

Cappy

I always see you cold weather yankees saying how rotten cotton is for hiking. I ask ya why that is? Cause it absorbs moister and wicks away heat and is well cooling? Guess what that is exactly what a guy below the 30th parallel is looking for. I own some wool socks and a wool set of long johns, I aint wore them in 10 years. :Yo:

ArkansasMom

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I actually am a runner as well so I buy the moisture absorbing socks. I noticed a huge difference when I switched to those. I will see what I can find out about strengthening my ankles too.

ponderosa

I always see you cold weather yankees saying how rotten cotton is for hiking. I ask ya why that is? Cause it absorbs moister and wicks away heat and is well cooling? Guess what that is exactly what a guy below the 30th parallel is looking for. I own some wool socks and a wool set of long johns, I aint wore them in 10 years. :Yo:
I wear cotton tee shirts hiking in the summer quite often, for the reasons you describe, as long as the forecast is hot and dry. But like you said, cotton absorbs moisture and once damp, cotton stays damp for a long time, which isn't a good thing in a sock. I can't wear cotton socks hiking (or jogging or even a long walk) without getting blisters, every time. A good lightweight wool blend or synthetic sock isn't any warmer than cotton, and wicks moisture away instead of staying damp. Dry socks = happier feet. And that is why cotton socks are rotten in my world.

carmen

The only time I break out the boots is when nature wants to give us a little rain and we can get trapped into the muddy areas. otherwise I like the little boot shoes too. They are not too clunky and they work great to protect my ankles.