Hiking with a broken toe?

Footprints

My luck, I broke my little toe this morning. It's not the first time I tend to be kind of clumsy. I've never attempted to go hiking with it broke though. Right now it's taped up pretty well, only hurts a little when I walk.

Any suggestions on hiking with a broken toe? :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

IndianaHiker

I might suggest not to at least for a long hike or an over nighter. IF you walk on that toe will take longer to heal. Another problem is that the toe will change your gait (the way you walk). In changing the gait you are now prone to injure other areas. This could cause you to strain other joints in your legs. For example Last day hike I went on I got a blister. Keep going and the next things my ankle started to hurt, then shin splints, then after that and still have it a bit knee pain. One think that causes you to walk in a manner that moves you hips,knees, ankle out of alignment causes stress on other parts of that leg.

Not saying don't go but something to be aware of.

Grandpa

I've limped out before but limping in is an open invitation for extended problems, just as Indiana said. When hiking, your feet are of the utmost importance.

Betty

I would be concerned that if you hike on it, especially for any kind of relatively long distance that you might aggravate the condition. The season is just starting, so no sense in cutting it short!

LittleLady

I agree, I'd probably wait it out. I have broken toes a couple times, and while it may not hurt to walk a little bit, after waiting tables for a couple hours I was in extreme pain. I imagine it would be worse with hiking. Hope you're all better soon.

Benny

If you are wearing comfortable shoes and feel up to it, then why not? I don't think we really need our little toes when walking, but if it hurts really bad you don't want to put extra pressure on it.

JollyRogers

I have broken all of my toes multiple times. (Or I should say HORSES have broken my toes multiple times).

There is really very little you can do for them. Wear a hard soled shoe (good boots) and thick socks, (to prevent the occasional bump), and you'll be fine. The less your shoe flexes under your toes the better. Just test out your shoes/socks first and make sure it is comfortable. I have done some really long hikes with broken toes before and hardly knew my toe was broken unless I was in the process of putting on/taking off boots.

Sometimes taping the toe to the one next to it will help keep the toe form moving around too much (especially if it is a little toe). Most of the time this isn't necessary.

Also, anti-inflammatories are important. (Motrin/Ibuprofen). Take them regularly as directed. (Assuming you are not allergic).

The only time a toe really bothered me was when I split the bone down the middle. Really uncomfortable and took awhile to heal.

hikinboot

I would not hike on a broken anything. As they have all said, your feet are very important and you want them in good shape to go hiking.

JollyRogers

Agreed. I guess my point is that it depends on your tolerance and how painful it is. After having toes broken many times my tolerance is probably higher than most for that sort of injury. I also know how to walk long distance with broken toes.

It really just comes down to listening to what your body tells you. Put on your designated hiking footwear and do some "test" hiking. Go through all of the motions. Climb a little, kick the toe of your shoes against something, walk around the block a few times.

If the pain is annoying you shouldn't hike. If it is just slightly uncomfortable you can probably hike with caution.

Footprints

I did decide to at least wait out this weekend, which is driving me crazy because it ended up being 71 and gorgeous. :(

I think by next weekend I'll probably give it a shot. Thank you for all of the advice though, some great suggestions as well. I appreciate it.

Judy Ann

You'll go far with common sense! I hope your toe is feeling better. Good time for playing in the garden if you can't hit the trails.

Newanderthal

only hurts a little when I walk.
there's your answer right there.

Give it some time to heal. stressing it now can delay the healing process. Instead of being out for a couple weeks, you could be out for months.

That said, make the most of the potential sympathy for your injury. Wrap your whole leg, get some crutches (or even a wheel chair), make up a story about getting run over, and let everyone go out of their way to open doors for you.

Tell the girls at the bar that you saved a child from a burning building or something. Heroic battle scars get'em every time.