How Did you find OBC?

Mudder

I was actually Googling for a camp forum, and I found this one. I joined immediately because I liked the look & layout and the fact that there's plenty of posts and enough members to actually make use of it. Not much use of a forum when nobody replies to others' threads. I joined another camping forum a couple days prior, but the threads weren't as busy as this one, hence me searching for another. Plus, four major hobbies of mine are all localized on this one (cycling, camping, small game hunting, rafting). I couldn't resist. Great site, and it looks good. We just need a chat feature! :)

briansnat

Platnium Member
I prowled the Backpacker.com forum for years, but found there was a lot of nastiness there. It was amazing how quickly a simple discussion about gear could degenerate into a flame war.

Then someone mentioned this place in a thread, I checked it out and haven't been back to BP much since. There is a far friendlier atmosphere here.

Sagebrusher

I'm a member on campingforums.com and OBC was mentioned in a post that I( read there.) Thing is I like it here better, people are more friendly and helpful. Information given on this site is not followed by a lot of smart @$$ comments like the other couple of sites I am a member of. It seems like on the other sites I've been to, everyone wants to spend their time arguing about everything. I work with people who like to argue with each other about darn near everthing so if I want to argue I can go to work and get paid for it.
You just reminded me that I joined that forum at the same time as this one. I posted a few things there but didn't get much feedback.

Check the response to this new person asking a good question...

going off the grid questions

Grandpa

Wow, never quite run into that big of a jerk but had some nearly as bad in BP. Seems a lot of those BP folks don't like any opinion but there own.

So did the original poster ever get anyone to give him some good advice? I sure know a few places a person could get lost for a few months,.......if he knows how to take care of himself for that long. I know all to well what must have been going through that young mans mind and the need for a place to be alone and come to grips with what he has seen and probably had to do.

Gangplank

Eternal Sailor
My granddaughter who is living with me (also works for me doing payroll, bookings, paperwork, pays the bills and other clerical tasks) decided I needed to be part of an online forum. Since I'm an old salt and love the outdoors she looked online and found this place. I think she's just tired of hearing me play the harmonica all day (the office is in my home) but that's just a theory.

I think she picked a good one. Been snooping around and like the different sections you have. Something for everyone. People around these parts seem friendly too which don't hurt none. She said she might come here too. I've practically raised the girl and taken her out on the sea since she was just a little thing. She's got some good sea legs and pretty proficient on a boat and getting better every day. We're very close. These days you don't see many grandchildren close to their counterparts. Her momma raised her right.

Don't leave port till Friday so I'll be home and on here a bit. Hoping to share some knowledge and meet some good folks. If you let me know ahead of time and gonna be near Virginia let me know. If not at sea we can go out on the water and fish, drink brews and tell stories about women.

CozInCowtown

Welcome Gangplank!!
I have moderated and administrated on several sites like this one and I will say this is the best bunch of nuts...er....people I have had the pleasure to have conversation with.
Easiest mod job ever!!
You can tell a lot about a person by the people they associate with.
Coz

AK Hunter

I was looking for deer hunting tips, I found tips & more.
Liked what I saw so I stayed, it's been like home ever since.

Birddog

I typed up tent camping forums on the search engine and this came up.i was building a trailer to haul my camping gear at the time and found some good pointers here.

CampingMaxx

Found you guys on Google Page 1 when seeking some last-minute advice leading up to a weekender trip. Love this forum now! Such knowledgeable posters and little-to-no riff-raff. So good to me.

Grandpa

Welcome to OBC CampingMaxx. From whence ye hale? Pull a log up to the fire and join right in.

NicholasDuMonde

Google. I was searching for a place to hike and camp this weekend (for free and legal), and couldn't find any. Searched and searched for a quality looking forum, and found OBC! Only my second day here but I like it so far!

Campfire Girl

I was googling a question about flyfishing and was directed to a thread on this site. I got to looking around and liked what I saw so I decided to register.

Grandpa

Welcome Campfire Girl. Pull a log up to the fire and chat with us. Where do you like to fish?