How To Light A Candle With A Firesteel

offtrail

How many people would be able to light a candle with a firesteel? Now say you just need the candle lit but don't need a camp fire. Here is a little trick that works great, just need some cotton, seed fluff or cattail down. Just put a pinch of whatever material you have on the wick and throw a spark to it. How To Light A Candle With A Fire Steel - YouTube

Cappy

Das a variation of the ole prison match, ya can use that technique with a candle or just roll the stretched out cotton, fluff, drier lent etc in a tissue paper and make a wick like tube. A good way to utilize the flint in a bic lighter long after its outa gas.

offtrail

Das a variation of the ole prison match, ya can use that technique with a candle or just roll the stretched out cotton, fluff, drier lent etc in a tissue paper and make a wick like tube. A good way to utilize the flint in a bic lighter long after its outa gas.
I love empty Bic's, never throw one away. Myself I think empty Bic's do a better job then a firesteel. So far I have been able to get an ember on
punk wood
milkweed pith
mullein pith
charcloth
things like
Cotton
seed fluff
cattail fluff light easily with empty Bic, it's a great spark source. The Bic does have to be modified just a bit so you can get the material up close to the spark. A found discarded empty Bic could save a life.

BigSur

That is pretty cool! I should send this to my buddy who is always out camping somewhere. He would definitely like this without a doubt!

NatureGal

Wow, that's interesting. So simple too. It would be very convenient in emergencies and when you don't have very many resources. This is a useful tip to learn.