Hunting For Food

Scotty

How many of you are thinking about hunting not only for sport, but for food? Honestly, my hunting may be a majority of the meat we eat this winter. I went to the store the other day to get a beef roast and they wanted over $13! I almost went into shock. I can't believe meat prices have exploded like they have. Even ground beef was over $2 a pound. Needless to say, I left the store without anything and we had pinto beans for supper.

Last edited:

Grandpa

My elk tag is for a cow or calf. All I want is the meat. The bull tags are on a draw basis with about 1 in 10 lucky enough for the draw, but the cow tags are open hunt (non-draw). I would have been happy with an either sex deer tag but would have had to travel to far. The local hunt is large buck only, so that is what I will be after.

I actually prefer to shoot them with a camera because I can shoot them year round, more often and they are easier to carry out in a camera, but this year, I want the meat.

jason

fear no beer
I would not kill something unless I was going to eat it. The only option would be self defense, or if an animal was injured and was dying anyway. If things get much worse, hunting will be the next thing I pick up around here.

outdoorchick

We don't kill anything we don't plan to eat, and this year I am hoping my hubby gets a lot of meat! He's got 12 tags for deer and I doubt he will get that many, but if he does I'll be freezing, smoking, and making jerky out of all of it. We literally cannot afford to buy much in the way of groceries anymore, and just got the good news that every aspect of our insurance is going up.

campclose

I can't imagine hunting for sport. I do have a couple of friend's whose hubby's hunt for sport. Not in my family! Never.... Hunting is only something you do to feed your family. I'm still trying to get used to the taste of venison.

southerngal

We eat everything we kill here and I haven't met a strict trophy hunter in years. To me huinting is not for "sport" at all, but to provide for my family.

Big Boy

Survivalist Mentality
If I shoot anything, its to be eaten. Not just to kill an animal. I prefer venison. I want to try squirrel and rabbit. I would LOVE to be a full pledged rabbit hunter (if it tastes good :) )

jason

fear no beer
If I shoot anything, its to be eaten. Not just to kill an animal. I prefer venison. I want to try squirrel and rabbit. I would LOVE to be a full pledged rabbit hunter (if it tastes good :) )
I've had rabbit before and enjoyed it. Although it has been a while, I do remember enjoying it. Like anything it may not be for everyone, but I say go for it.

FreeWilly

I've hunted one time for sport and I didn't like it. I actually am more of an animal lover. I eat meat of course, but I don't see the animal being slaughtered. I don't have a problem with hunters as I have plenty of them in my family and will gladly eat their kills, but me personally killing one is not one of my hobbies.

Lamebeaver

I've been known to shoot skunks, or racoons if they get in the sweet corn, or rabbits if they manage to get into my fenced garden, but normally that's part of the reason I hunt. There's a certain honesty in doing your own killing instead of paying someone else to do it for you.

Tubby

We only hunt to eat. I don't like to hunt for sport but we do eat the game we kill. It's amazing the number of my friends who only hunt for the meat. There are many of us who do the same. I love rabbit too. In our local Kroger grocery, they have rabbit in the freezer section. If we haven't caught any and I want some, I buy it there.

Scotty

Oh, we don't hunt for sport and never have. But I will be hunting for more than just a deer this year. I'm going to have to try to get a few rabbits, squirrels, and anything else I can catch and freeze this year.

Roy

It's thrilling to make a good kill but part of the thrill is knowing that your freezer will be full through the winter. I could never imagine just killing for the sport of it. Seems like such a waste.

Greatoutdoors

Exactly Roy, it's is awesome to make a good clean kill, but to me the whole point is knowing that I am providing for my family. I will be hunting for everything this year, but gators. Hoping to get a good bit of turkey, deer, rabbit, and boar in the freezer real soon!

Mary Beth

We hardly eat anything, but hunted meat, at our house because of store prices. We eat deer and rabbit, but if things get much worse, I might venture into possums and squirrels! :)

Blueskyy

Rabbit season is starting soon here and I am hoping we get a few. I have ever had rabbit before, but my husband assures me they are yummy. This is his first year back to hunting since childhood, but we would never kill something we weren't going to eat unless it was a threat.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me black bears are.

I, too, don't hunt anymore...I'd rather watch all the critters. I do, however, have the means of procuring small game in my BOB, just in case.

My son-in-law is now the hunter in the family...along with his kids. They usually get one or more deer each season, and frequently a bear. The game they harvest cuts their grocery bill noticeably, and they look forward to eating the meat during the year.

Lamebeaver

We hardly eat anything, but hunted meat, at our house because of store prices. We eat deer and rabbit, but if things get much worse, I might venture into possums and squirrels! :)
Squirrels is good eatin! Possum? - uh, let us know how it goes.:puke: