I like the idea of a quick camp lunch!

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
I do like the idea of a quick camp lunch. Ramen noodles would be a quick way to go, both fixing and into the grave. So what to do...

I've been messing around trying to refine a recipe that makes Ramen spice packets without the Sodium. I'm getting closer and would love to hear how you make your spice mix.

I've come up with this to date:

Low Sodium Ramen Noodle Mix

3 Tablespoons Onion Powder

3 Tablespoons Garlic Powder

1 Tablespoon Black Pepper

1 Tablespoon Ginger

2½ teaspoons of Old Bay Seasoning

½ teaspoon Poultry Seasoning

28 cubes (28 packets) of No Sodium chicken or beef bullion cubes

Mix together well.

Cook your noodles then add 1 (one) Tablespoon of Mix to 2 (two) cups of hot water. Add your noodles and if you have it, some fresh cut scallions sprinkled on top. Eat.

So how about it? How do you make yours?

ppine

Forester
I hate Ramen noodles because it reminds me of being a poor student.
Your method sounds good for people that like them.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors
I hate Ramen noodles because it reminds me of being a poor student.
Your method sounds good for people that like them.
I've never eaten them 'til of late. The Sodium scares the life out of me and don't care for the prepackaged store bought for that reason. But I have to say, heating 2 cups of water, mixing in the spice mix, adding the noodles and eating while trying to maintain a pace while backpacking is appealing to me. I honestly don't know of any healthy alternatives and that's my ignorance and failure to do any respectful research. Well, I'm new to the group and hopeful you veteran's will slip and share your goodies with us and I'll score a good alternative meal!
Enjoy your time out with the horses today!

Roybrew

I haven't seen them at the store lately. They are [emoji39]. Crispy cookie crunchy with peanut butter in the middle. My wife shook me down before and after my last trip cause she loves them, and she was sure I was" packing" those cookies.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

bibsoutdoors

I haven't seen them at the store lately. They are [emoji39]. Crispy cookie crunchy with peanut butter in the middle. My wife shook me down before and after my last trip cause she loves them, and she was sure I was" packing" those cookies.

LOL!!! "My wife shook me down..." SCREAM!!! THAT'S JUST PLAIN FUNNY!!

Northern Dancer

3232 3238

These are some of my standard treats. They come individually wrapped in a box. I can throw in just what I need and get rid of the box.

3235 32363237 3239

I like these products too. I can use them in recipes. For example "bacon and beans" always taste great. And none of the meat has to be refrigerated. I use the Bisquick and make what I call "camp bread" - one large. Tastes great smeared in butter or jam - strawberry especially.

Thomas H

Bibsoutdoors

These are some of my standard treats. They come individually wrapped in a box. I can throw in just what I need and get rid of the box.

I like these products too. I can use them in recipes. For example "bacon and beans" always taste great. And none of the meat has to be refrigerated. I use the Bisquick and make what I call "camp bread" - one large. Tastes great smeared in butter or jam - strawberry especially.
This all looks good. But I have to ask, what is this one? DADS OATMEAL and I can't even pronounce the rest. A cookie maybe?
Turtles are a solid favorite.
Coffee Crisp, I ordered a couple of boxes of these for our afternoon or evening coffee. They were wonderful, crisp and sweet without being overly sweet.
The beef we can get as Jerky here but I've never seen the nuggets anywhere.

Northern Dancer

Sorry...we have two official languages in this country - French, and English. So all the products are in both languages. Dad's are cookies and come in oatmeal and chocolate chip. I use the nuggets in various camp dishes. I am forever looking for new products that I can try on my canoe trips.

Denni2

I love recipes by Sarah Kirkconnell
https://trailcooking.com/recipe-home/. Her recipes taste great, and can be made low sodium.
Here is one.
American Pho
In a sandwich bag:
3 ounce block ramen (toss seasoning packet) or chuka soba noodles 2 Tbsp crumbled dried mushrooms
2 Tbsp freeze-dried vegetable mix
1 tsp diced dried onion
2 tsp low sodium beef bullion
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt, if desired
1/4 tsp granulated garlic
Pinch red pepper flakes
Ground pepper to taste
Also take: 1 to 2 packets (2 to 4 tsp) soy sauce (I use low sodium) Add 2 cups water, soy sauce and the dry ingredients to your pot. Bring to a boil. Turn off the heat. Cover tightly and let sit for 5 minutes. Serves 1 as a meal, 2 as a side cup of soup.

bibsoutdoors

I love recipes by Sarah Kirkconnell
https://trailcooking.com/recipe-home/. Her recipes taste great, and can be made low sodium.
Here is one.
American Pho
In a sandwich bag:
3 ounce block ramen (toss seasoning packet) or chuka soba noodles 2 Tbsp crumbled dried mushrooms
2 Tbsp freeze-dried vegetable mix
1 tsp diced dried onion
2 tsp low sodium beef bullion
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp salt, if desired
1/4 tsp granulated garlic
Pinch red pepper flakes
Ground pepper to taste
Also take: 1 to 2 packets (2 to 4 tsp) soy sauce (I use low sodium) Add 2 cups water, soy sauce and the dry ingredients to your pot. Bring to a boil. Turn off the heat. Cover tightly and let sit for 5 minutes. Serves 1 as a meal, 2 as a side cup of soup.
This sounds great and I will be trying it! Thanks for this!

Northern Dancer

Then there are tacos in a bag.

Fried Beef, chives, sour cream, shredded cheese, etc.
Just cut down the long side, put in the ingredients. Eat.
You don't have to wash dishes. Just enjoy.
Mighty fine around a campfire.

Roybrew

That's a great idea. People that do a fair bit of camping, always mention that tacos are their favorite. I need to look outside of my little box and expand my imagination.