I'd like a boat for myself.

NatureLover

I'd like to purchase a boat for myself. I would doubt that I will ever have any company or guests to visit during which time I would use the boat so something that will accomodate one adult would be ideal, however two at the absolute most. Do you have any recommendations for a boat so small? I do not want a kayak or the likes, I would enjoy something like a flat bottom durable boat. (not an inflatable one)

izzy1094

What would you use the boat for? On what type and size body of water? Human or other powered? From the generic description you gave, I would suggest a small, aluminum johnboat if the water is generally still and calm.

2coastcamper

What would you use the boat for? On what type and size body of water? Human or other powered? From the generic description you gave, I would suggest a small, aluminum johnboat if the water is generally still and calm.
I see a lot of those in the small streams we have ... people are usually fishing from them.

failghe

A small jon boat is good to have with a small outboard. I use mine once in a while to go in rivers, lakes, and inshore in the Gulf of Mexico. Throw in the back of the pickup and away I go.
Or what about a Gheenoe? I have never been in one but supposed to be very stable. But I think you need a trailer for it. They kinda look like canoes, with small outboards.

rvmom

My ex father in law had a john boat. It had small motor on it. He loved to go fishing in it. As far as I know he only took it out in lakes. He neevr took it out to any gulfs or oceans. I don`t think a john boat can do that can they?

NatureLover

To be honest I really am not sure what boats are tolerant to what. I am fairly knowledgeable about some things, however boats aren't one of them. I thought this would be a nice place to ask suggestions on them and I have received some nice ideas.

NatureLover

I am not using a company boat, maybe you misunderstood. I am looking to purchase a boat, for myself, and I would use it for simple trips such as paddling down the creek or lake.

Bushman

First of all, where do you live? More importantly how close to you live to a body of water and what kind of body of water is it? (Lake, River, the Ocean?)

If you live up north you will have to consider that you will have to dry dock your boat for the winter months. What kind of water you plan on using your boat in will effect the kind of boat you should get.

Research the kinds of boats that are right for your area and go from there.

NatureLover

Thank you Bushman. We have fairly nice weather year round. I live right down from a lake and there is a river around 35 miles from here as well. No ocean. :( It is nice to have more searching tips!

Birddog

A small jon boat is good to have with a small outboard. I use mine once in a while to go in rivers, lakes, and inshore in the Gulf of Mexico. Throw in the back of the pickup and away I go.
Or what about a Gheenoe? I have never been in one but supposed to be very stable. But I think you need a trailer for it. They kinda look like canoes, with small outboards.
I have a gheenoe,made in Titusville,fl next to Kennedy space center.They are an awesome little boat can carry 625 lbs in the smaller ones and run a 9.9hp motor.if you were moving a lot of gear upstream,this little boat would be the workhorse to do it.empty it comes in at 120 lbs so it can be car topped by two people also.They make a bigger one that will run a 25hp motor too. I take mine out with a minn Kota electric motor and a deep cycle battery for stealth fishing with my son more often than taking the 9.9 and it is great to fish out of.for the money,it's hard to beat !

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I know that some posters have built their own boats. Are you handy with woodworking tools?

I've only owned four boats, and I designed and built two of them myself...without the benefit of being handy with woodworking tools...!!

The first one was a very modest 12-foot john boat...perfect for fishing in lakes and for duck hunting. It also held three adults very comfortably. Only used it with oars.

Just a thought for those of you that might be so inclined.

briansnat

Platnium Member
If you just want it for paddling around lakes or streams, how about a canoe? You can get something like a Wenonah Solo Plus, NovaCraft PAL or a NovaCraft Bob Special. All three paddle nicely solo or tandem. I don't think you'd want a rowboat for exploring. They are kind of on the slow side and if you run into a current, or narrow creek it could become difficult to paddle.

If you plan on doing mostly fishing, it's hard to beat a jon boat. A 10 footer should work nicely and give you enough room if you want to bring a friend. You can buy a small outboard for it, or perhaps just an electric motor. You might want to get a trailer too, because cartopping an aluminum jonboat solo might be difficult to manage.

Cappy

someone in an effort to keep up with the yak-offs posted they are giving the perfect answer to a calm water fishermans dream a 10ft john boat for one of those tipsy kayacks. Look them up and take advantage of their temporary insanity.

ppine

Forester
A canoe is a very personal and versalilte boat.
If you interested in a power boat, a small aluminum boat with a V hull is much safer and more stable than a jon boat. They are easy to find on Craigslist everywhere.

ppine

Forester
A boat, any boat is a life changing experience for many people compared to no boat. Being on the water is one of life's most simple and best joys. I grew up that way, and every time I go out there I am a kid again. The straight forward answer is a 12-14 foot aluminum boat with a v hull and a small outboard. If the motor gets used often with some simple maintenance like running the motor dry by disconnecting the gas tank it will be very dependable. Add some oars for safety, an anchor, and few other things and you can take it everywhere. You can explore, fish and go on overnight trips. You can bring a dog or two. It is very stable and easy to handle for one person.