Joseph's Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hikenhunter

Tip#25 10/27/12---- In an earlier tip I suggested hanging key rings, also known as split rings on all the zippers of your pack for easier grasping to open and close them. Another thing that you can do is hang alligator clips on the rings. The clips can then be used like clothes pins to hold any wet socks or other clothing you might hand wash while on the trail, in order for it to dry as you hike. Alligator clips have sharp teeth that can damage the fabric so I suggest 1st getting clips with the smallest teeth possible and 2nd cut a length of aquarium air tubing and sliding it over the teeth to protect your clothes from damage.

Pathfinder1

Oct. tip #428

Hi...

Hydration

Water serves many important functions in the body, like regulating your temperature through sweating, transporting nutrients, lubricating joints and facilitating digestion. Keeping properly hydrated is a must while doing physical activities outside. Measuring hydration levels is an individual science because it depends on a person's metabolic rate, body mass and size, and external environmental conditions like temperature and humidity.

According to the American College of Sports Medicine, a body-water deficit greater than 2% of a person's body weight causes a level of dehydration than can adversely affect performance. As a general rule of thumb, maintain your optimal performance by drinking at least a liter of water while doing moderate activities in moderate conditions.

_Jack

Hey guys,

I've been working on putting all of these tips in a pdf. I've attached the file so far. Of course I will do final editing on it after the end of the month.

The tips in the pdf are organized by the forum member, and in order of when the first tip was made in the thread. (You'll see what I mean when you look at the file :) )

Also, I made a few corrections for typos, etc. And if you see any mistake or anything you think needs to be changed, let me know.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hikenhunter

Tip#26 10/28/12----When car camping set up a pop up canopy at least 12x12 with walls that can be tied up during the day and dropped at night to keep the morning dew off or during rain to keep yourselves dry. I set my camp kitchen up along one side of the canopy and the picknick table as close to the other side as possible. This is our central gathering area. It helps cut down on traffic in and out of the tents. All eating is done here. No eating or drinking is allowed in the tents! Any crafts the kiddies might decide to do are done here as well.To raise and lower the sides you can roll them up and tie them off to the framework around the top of the canopy.

Cappy

Ya gotta be careful when in brush with those keyrings on ya zippers they snag and unzip a compartment while pushing through brush. Trust me not a good thing. I usta just knot a piece of leather string like a shoe lace pass it through the hole ad let it hang. No loops to snag that way. As far as roach clips they do make clothes pins but I usta prefer using them for what the name implies.

charley

Foil wrapped potatoes cooked in the coals are great. MMMMM!! You can cut the time down by cooking the potatoes most of the way at home in the mike crow wave.

Hikenhunter

Tip#27 10/29/12---- For those of us who take meds on a regular basis, list all the drugs you take, the amounts and frequency on an index card. Be sure to include your name,emergency contact information, your Doctors name, address and phone number. list all meds , rather they are prescription or OTC, and even list any vitamins you take on a regular basis. Laminate the cards and keep them with you at all times. In an emergency the people at the hospital will need to know these things and you can speed up the process for everyone if you can pull these cards out and hand them to them. This tip is not only for when you are in the outdoors but for all times. IMPORTANT!: You MUST includeyour name on this card or if you can't communicate with medical personell they will not know if the list is yours or someone elses. If you do not have access to a laminator you can use clear shelf paper remember to leave at least 1/4 inch border around the outside of thev card.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Tip #next

One of the easiest survival shelters to make is the A-frame; open in the front, and closed in the back. The simplest type can be made by leaning branches against a tree. Once they are in place, they can be covered with evergreen branches, tree bark, sod, moss, your poncho or tarp, etc.

When building a shelter, don't attempt to overbuild it. One of the best things you can do is to build one just big enough for what you need it for, which will help to keep you warmer during the night.

The shelter's front can be closed with your pack, or with elements used to build the shelter.

charley

The little chemical handwarmers can be put in the bottom of your sleeping bag to keep you and your toes warmer all night long.

Hikenhunter

Tip #28 10/30/12---- Use a metal table for cooking with your dutch ovens. It is fun to cook right in the fire pit with one dutch oven but if you are making a large meal with your dutch ovens it is better to use a table. It gets the ovens up off of the ground, it is easier on your back, it is easier to control your temperatures. Use an ash can to dispose of your burned charcoal dust. Charcoal tables are available from several different suppliers such as Cabelas or Bass pro Shops but I reccommend Chuckwagonsupply.com for some of the best tables and other dutch oven supplies available.

charley

Write down the site numbers of the sites you like at your favorite campgrounds, so you have a list to chose from, esp. since you can reserve sites at many campgrounds these days. It is also a good idea to walk around the campground right after a rain to see which sites are underwater and which are dry.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Post next to the last...YAY.

Here's something you don't hear a lot about, but it could happen to you or a travelling companion.

Symptoms and warning signs of anaphylaxis

Anaphylaxis is an extreme, life-threatening allergic reaction. Symptoms can appear in seconds or minutes. If you were lucky enough to survive a prior anaphylactic reaction, consider it a warning. Don't wait for your next 'close call'. See your Doctor to have your symptoms evaluated. And, know the red flags. According to myoptumHealth.com, symptoms almost always involve (NOTE: these are not all of the symptoms):

Hives, which are red, often itchy raised bumps on the surface of the skin.

Flushing, or redness and warmth, especially on the face, neck and upper chest.

Sweating.

Swelling and irritation of the tongue, mouth and sinuses.

Chest pain and loss of conciousness.

Treatment should be administered immediately.

Epinephrine injected into muscle tissue is quick and extremely effective.

Self-administered epinephrine devices like Epi-Pen and EpiE-Z are lifesaving tools. Patients must be properly trained in their use and instructed to keep these devices updated and close at hand, according to the AARP.

Judy Ann

Good post Pathfinder. My sister was stung halfway up Mt. LeConte and went into an anaphylactic response. Fortunately, she was not hiking alone, but was with an experienced backpacker AND was within cellphone service. The Rangers were able to reach her quickly and hauled her butt off the mountain. I always carry Benadryl and ranitidine in adequate doses just in case!

Hikenhunter

Tip#29 10/31/12---- No matter what your outdoor activity may be, Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Etc... Educate yourself as much as possible to the proper methods to do those activities. Do your best to avoid ruining other peoples experiences while enjoying your own. Never think that you know it all because there is always one more thing to learn. Try new things when you get the chance. Be good stewards of the land. Spend as much time wth your children and your grandchildren as you can in the outdoors. Share your knowledge with others as this knowledge is part of the legacy you will one day leave behind. Most Of All Have Fun And Enjoy Yourself Because Life Is Too Short To Do It Any Other Way.

Hikenhunter

I have enjoyed this thread very much. It made me search my memory for just the right tip to post each day and I have learned a bunch of stuff by reading others. I do wish there had been more tips posted by more members but to those who have participated in this thread I thank you for the things you have shared and I hope that some of the tips I have shared have been of some value to some of you.

charley

DON"T EAT THE YELLOW SNOW!!
Don't eat the red snow either.
In fact don't eat any snow, it cools off your inner temperature. If you eat snow for hydration you risk hyperthermia because you use your body heat to melt it. Put snow in a baggy and put that in your pocket and unless it is very cold, it will melt and you can drink it. Put snow in a black plastic bag and let the sun melt it. Best of all is to build a fire to melt snow and warm you up.
If in camp snow is good with maple syrup.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Last post...YAY (I thought I was running out of ideas).

A little known hazard is "snow burn". It is similar to sunburn in that it's a temporary inflammation of the skin surface. But its cause is light reflected from the snow, rather than direct sunlight. (You high mountain dwellers/climbers know what I mean).

Keeping skin covered, when possible, and applying sunblock can reduce the risk, according to the Kansas State University.

PLEASE NOTE

Most of my postings in this thread came from the manual I put together for the Survival Woodsmanship course that I occasionally host. Some information came from personal experience. Other info came from many other verified sources. Other info was plagiarized with glee from yet other sources.

Hope you enjoyed the posts...!! :tinysmile_shutup_t2:tinysmile_classes_t

Judy Ann

When skinny dipping in the ocean hook your unders over an arm, the waves might carry you far from your starting point and your clothes might be difficult to find much later...:decision:

Status
Not open for further replies.