Just getting into Backpacking. Some essentials for my first 2 night adventure?

Cory

Oregon!
Just picked up a 55L mountain hardware back pack today hardly used off craigslist!!! I'm excited because i graduate from high school tomorrow and am starting the summer off by a 2 night backpacking trip!!

Lets see I'll start off from outside in.
-Backpack full of:
-clothes: good shoes, extra socks, underwear, sweats, sweatshirt, rain jacket, shirt
-tarp
-tent
-supplies: flashlight/headlamp, knife, para cord, water bottle, lighter.
-food, way to cook food, i.e pot, pan.

if you think 1 thing isn't as important as the next or you'd like to stress the importance of a certain item please do so!

Cory

ponderosa

Congrats on your graduation, and on your first backpacking trip! Oregon is a great place for it...enough places to explore to keep you busy for a long time.
Probably just an oversight on your list, but you need a sleeping bag & pad, or at least some kind of bedroll.
Don't forget some way of treating your water (filter or purification tablets).
Bring some sort of stuff sack you can use to hang your food & trash at night to keep from attracting bears/rodants to your camp.

Hygiene/comfort kit: TP (which you will either bury or carry out), small amount of camp soap or alcohol gel, toothbrush (you won't die without it for a few days, but not optional for me), chapstick & sunscreen, bug repellent

Other stuff: signal mirror and/or whistle, map/compass, a few yards of duct tape and some big safety pins for gear repairs, & maybe some firestarter stuff if you're not experienced in building fires

Be sure to leave a detailed itinerary and your planned route with someone at home.

Enjoy your trip, and come back to let us know how it went.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Ponderosa has some good suggestions for you. The fact is you'll probably forget something you could have used. Sit down and think carefully about all the things you do during a day in the house. This will tell you those things you use and take for granted. Go into the bathroom, the kitchen, and your bedroom and trace your steps. These rooms will have the equipment you might require.

But remember that if you have a knife, some cordage, and a roll of tape, you can make things to fit your situation.

Hikenhunter

Hi Cory and congratulations on your graduation.One thing you may want to consider is when packing put all your stuff in ziplock baggies. By squeezing the air out as you zip the bags you will create a more compact package, you will be able to see your items without tearing through your whole pack and this method of packing helps keep your stuff organized. Even if your pack is waterproof if you get caught in the rain some water may find it's way into your pack, so using the ziplocks is also a precautionary measure to double protect those items that you don't want to get wet. Also you should consider a waterproof pack cover for your backpack. Additionally you should pack some type of first aid kit with at least a few basic items. Good luck on your first trip. Let us know how it goes for you.

IndianaHiker

First Aid kit don't leave home with out it. I also have in mine Motrin, Benadryl, and Imodium. Sounds like you have a good start for just 2 nights may want to look at how much clothing you are carrying. I see this as I am bad about taking more than I need as well. Have fun sounds love Oregon used to live in Portland what a beautiful state it is.

Cory

Oregon!
Hi...

Congratulations, Corey.

Much good advice here.

What kinds of food will you be bringing, and what kind of lighter do you have?
thanks everyone for the awesome responses!
I'm not sure on the food quite yet. I'm not sure how you would store something that needs to be kept cooled..? like hot dogs?
Snack wise, i'll bring: tons of trail mix, dried mangos, 2 very small boxes of cereal, chewy bars, nutrigain bars. Just enough to put me through for 2 days!

yes, i overlooked a sleeping bag, yes i overlooked a pad (need to get/borrow one)
i'll grab some water purification tablets too
i'll add the first aid kit, got a little one i keep in my boat i can use!

bsmit212

Your food to this point, minus the hot dogs, sounds good. Close to what I will carry. For the cereal I would transfer them to zip-locks as you dont need the boxes. Another thing to keep in mind for cereal is you wont be able to carry milk. As far as keeping stuff cold, get stuff that does not need to be kept cold.. haha. There are tons of options at your local grocer that wont require them to be kept cold. Backpacker also has several good recipies on their website. Might want to check there to help plan your menu. Some times I will look at their rip-an-go guides and they list out a menu.

IndianaHiker

For food and ease of use I would go with freeze dried. If you are in Portland you have a great resource there. REI there is on in Portland I think and for sure one in Tualatin where I used to live. They will have different foods and also backpacking stoves.

Grandpa

Congratulations on your graduation. Lots of advice here for you to think about. My suggestion for a first time out would be the same as Indiana's. Simplify all this by using freeze dried foods so you can concentrate on all the other things. With freeze dried, it's just heat water and poor in the envelope, let it hydrate 5-10 minutes and eat. Light weight, easy clean-up and nutrituous enough for now. Ramen noodles and oatmeal packets are also light weight and easy. Check out mountain house at any wal-mart for the simple entree's or any sporting goods store for the better tasting Mt House or Backpackers Pantry meals. A heating method, a metal cup to boil the water and a spoon are all that is needed.

With meals simplified, you can concentrate on all the other aspects toward enjoying yourself. Each of us has our unique methods so if you listen to all of us, you will be overwhelmed with gear and ideas. Sort our ideas out, then hike your own hike.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

When you zip-lok your dry cereal, just add some powered milk to it. Then just add water when you're ready to eat it. Re: water...will you have a nearby supply on the trail, or will you carry it with you?

If you carry your own water supply, freeze the first one-half/one-third of your water container's water. That will help keep any perishibles you may carry cool, and give you cool drinking water on the trail.

And as Grandpa said, don't get overwhelmed by all of these ideas. Pick and choose those best suited to your uses.

bsmit212

That is a good idea for the cereal Pathfinder. I will have to try that myself. Also other have a good point about simplfiying your meals for the first few times out.

ppine

Forester
Cory,
Way to go. Celebrating being a grad is a great idea, and these comments are worth listening to. You will probably not need all those clothes. If you forget something it is no big deal. Just ask Les Stroud (Survivorman).

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
Congrats on getting out!

You will want to leave the "sweats" and "sweatshirt" behind. You don't want cotton at all. It will not dry when it gets wet and can lead to hypothermia. If you don't have synthetics you can get some from Walmart or somewhere like TJ Maxx. The difference between the "cheap" stuff and the "good" stuff is in the details. The cheaper shirts not designed for backpacking will often have seams on the shoulders where your pack sits. For some folks this is not a problem, for some it is.

Like others have said, for your first trip it would be easier to do the commercial, dehydrated meals. Mountain House and Backpacker Pantry are common in outdoor stores. I have used some Enteria makes some good stuff but it is not common in stores. My favorite is Packit Gourmet but they only sell online. You can probably get some Coleman brand food from Walmart (you can here).

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I used a simple champion shirt and some north face shorts. I put on a pair of rain pants and a rain jacket in the cool morning when I woke up. It was enough to keep me warm while we ate, and easy to take off right before walking again.
You only need one of anything not called "socks", when it comes to clothes.

And don't forget to carry a Rock for you bear bag. They can sometimes be hard to find. Anything fist sized will work.

;)

CozInCowtown

IMO I would K.I.S.S!!
Keep It Super Simple!!
Don't forget toilet paper in your pack.
Put everything you think you will need in your pack then dump 75% of it out. At this point you will have twice the amount of stuff you need.
JMO,
Coz

Last edited:

Lamebeaver

Lots of good advice so far. I'd add a cheap rain jacket and pants.

Try to replace the cotton sweats and sweatshirt with a fleece jacket and syntheic long johns when you can.

boots (or hiking shoes) break them in before heading out. Try them on with a good pair of smartwool socks. This is the most important gear you have.

Don't get carried away with the "little things" and use a checklist to you don't forget anything (I forgot my sleeping bag once).

When you get home, go through every thing you brought, and ask yourelf if you really needed to bring it.

Have fun!

HikerJoe

Where are you going?

Congrats on graduation. I never made it that far. However I have gotten 3 stars on EVERY level of Angry Birds. Which is way more harder than figuring out algorythms or getting someone to buy you liquor.

Dana

Backpackers like travelling light

Hi,
By now you have taken your trip and we are waiting to hear about it!
It can be miserable carrying a lot on your back and hiking - less is better.
Seems for a short trip you can be well nourished without much cooking. Clean wipes will fit and not take up room and also Restop products are easy to carry. With respect and regard for our parks and woodlands, we need to think of leaving no trace behind.
Hardly wait to hear about your adventure after your graduation success!