Just getting into Backpacking. Some essentials for my first 2 night adventure?

IndianaHiker

Congrats on getting out!

You will want to leave the "sweats" and "sweatshirt" behind. You don't want cotton at all. It will not dry when it gets wet and can lead to hypothermia. If you don't have synthetics you can get some from Walmart or somewhere like TJ Maxx. The difference between the "cheap" stuff and the "good" stuff is in the details. The cheaper shirts not designed for backpacking will often have seams on the shoulders where your pack sits. For some folks this is not a problem, for some it is.

Like others have said, for your first trip it would be easier to do the commercial, dehydrated meals. Mountain House and Backpacker Pantry are common in outdoor stores. I have used some Enteria makes some good stuff but it is not common in stores. My favorite is Packit Gourmet but they only sell online. You can probably get some Coleman brand food from Walmart (you can here).
The Coleman is actually made by Enteria and Coleman re-brands it.

Cory

Oregon!
Hey, has anyone heard from Cory yet about his trip?
My trip was put off because of work and a surprise visit from my sister, nieces, and nephews.

BUT
i leave tomorrow morning for eagle creek. Going to start day 1 off with a 13 mile hike to wahtum lake to do some fishing and relaxing. Its a popular hike and i'll see other people but for my first backing packing adventure if i decide not to do the whole 13 miles theres a 7.5 mile camp also. I'm doing this with my friend.
I'll take pictures because this hike aparently has waterfalls on waterfalls on waterfalls and some of the most photographed waterfalls in the country. Soooo TOMORROW is the start :)