Kids don't like to camp?

AlwaysOutdoors

What do you do if you are interested in camping and your kids don't like it or want to go? Fortunately this is not us but some friends of ours who would like to start camping but the few times they have gone, the kids were not overly fond of it. Any suggestions?

KatieMarie

That would be a tough one and glad we don't have that problem. If the kids were old enough they could stay with friends or other family. They might try finding things that they would be interested in doing, such as games or other outdoor activity. Maybe trying to be sure you camp somewhere that they could swim?

carmen

My sisters kids are like this too but they loved all outdoor activities except actually sleeping at night in the woods. Still to this day I don't think they can do an overnight trip.

T

tentrus

You try to make it more fun for the kids. Find things to do when camping so that they will enjoy it. I honestly do not know any kids that don't like to camp. It would be super hard for me if my kids did not like it.

Grandpa

My sisters kids are like this too but they loved all outdoor activities except actually sleeping at night in the woods. Still to this day I don't think they can do an overnight trip.
Fear factor from too many spook shows?

Lamebeaver

My kids do not like camping for the sake of camping, but throw in fishing or gold panning or hunting and they're ready to go.

ponderosa

My first question would be how old the kids are. Little kids usually think it's great, but I've known lots of teens who don't like to camp, especially if they weren't exposed to it as children. Even then, some kids just aren't going to enjoy camping. I grew up in a family that camped/hiked/backpacked very often. My younger sister enjoyed the hiking, but she was a nervous wreck sleeping outdoors. I know, because I shared a tent with her for years. She was awake all night, trying to identify every sound. I always had to sleep in front of the tent door, because she would sleep walk if she ever did manage to fall asleep, something she never did at home. She had stomach aches. I'd wake up, and she'd just be sitting there in her sleeping bag, listening and worrying. At some point our parents decided she wasn't going to grow out of it and that it wasn't kind to make her endure that kind of anxiety, and she got to stay home with Mom or Grandma. As an adult, she often takes her kids hiking, but she still won't sleep in a tent if she can possibly avoid it.

AlwaysOutdoors

Well thanks for all the replies. :) I think they will just have to keep trying and see what happens. One of them is school age, around 8 or 9 I think and the other is a little younger. I think that they would just rather stay home if it's more then one night. They're working on it! :)