Knife Injuries?

Gondor

When it comes to bushcraft not a lot of people mentions how often they've been injured trying to craft something. A few days ago while trying to carve a new handle for my firesteel, knife slipped and I almost sliced my forefinger in half. Couldn't stop the bleeding for 5 minutes.

Barney

I hope your finger is healing properly. God only knows how many cuts and scrapes I had, not only from tools but from materials as well. It's just another part of bushcrafting routine.

wvbreamfisherman

I never take on a project, be it bushcraft, auto repair, home improvement, etc. without figuring on at least one bloodletting injury. I could probably slice an artery painting the bedroom....

Bojib

I have a nice little scar at the base of my left thumb from a slight slipping stabbing incident. I don't even remember what I was working on now, I do however remember the the pain and blood from having a knife reach the bone. I'm sure I used some colorful language with that too.

When I do any mechanical work I've learned to just keep the black tape and paper towels handy. It won't be long before I'm bandaging a wound.

Hikenhunter

I have a nice little scar at the base of my left thumb from a slight slipping stabbing incident. I don't even remember what I was working on now, I do however remember the the pain and blood from having a knife reach the bone. I'm sure I used some colorful language with that too.

When I do any mechanical work I've learned to just keep the black tape and paper towels handy. It won't be long before I'm bandaging a wound.
I hear that except instead of black tape I keep duct tape handy

Barney

Once, after a smal annoying cut I was so frustrated about it that in anger I punched the wooden board leaned against the wall beside me. It had a rather big nail sticking out which left me a huge scar latter on.

ChadTower

I nearly lost an eye cleaning up after I did some wiring work in my bathroom. It wasn't doing the stupid work. It was picking up the tools afterwards. I had some romex still sticking out of the wall waiting for fixtures, bent over to pick up a measuring tape, and stuck my damn eye right down on the freshly cut wire. Just barely missed surgery and it took 4 months to really heal. I never did regain full sight in that eye, going from 20/15 to 20/50.

Pathfinder1

I nearly lost an eye cleaning up after I did some wiring work in my bathroom. It wasn't doing the stupid work. It was picking up the tools afterwards. I had some romex still sticking out of the wall waiting for fixtures, bent over to pick up a measuring tape, and stuck my damn eye right down on the freshly cut wire. Just barely missed surgery and it took 4 months to really heal. I never did regain full sight in that eye, going from 20/15 to 20/50.

Hi...

WOW...!! Sorry to hear about your mishap.

Grandpa

Me and knives have gotten along a lot better than me and barb wire. I can only remember one good knife cut on a finger trying to dress a pheasant walking across a plowed field hurrying so I wouldn't miss the school bus. But barb wire? I got scars all over from little run ins with that stuff.

hummingbird

I don't cut myself as much as I sprain every limb and my neck. I have never been able to walk across a floor without turning my foot at least every three months. I just keep Ace bandages and cold packs available at home and in my back pack. I can't tell you how many times I have finished a hike with a sprained ankle/wrist/neck, well, you get the picture.

Sagebrusher

Me and knives have gotten along a lot better than me and barb wire. I can only remember one good knife cut on a finger trying to dress a pheasant walking across a plowed field hurrying so I wouldn't miss the school bus. But barb wire? I got scars all over from little run ins with that stuff.
Perhaps your spirit animal is a pronghorn :tinysmile_twink_t2:

3ofusnow

I am not known for being graceful and unfortunately this extends to knives. My stupidest knife injury ever was washing one of our new Mora's, and when I went to dry it some how through the dish towel and all I sliced my thumb wide open.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Fortunately, I only recall one such injury.

When I was about twelve years old, I was attempting to slice an apple in half...and was doing so in a way that no sane person would try...when I felt something dripping on my boot tops. It was blood. Only the bone saved me from slicing off my thumb. And it happened so fast that I never felt a thing.

I had to walk about a mile to get home, and my folks took me to the MD and some stitches were put in.

Although it is no longer easy to see, the scar is still there.