Knives for the Nephew

OutdoorMomma

My 14 year old nephew is really into knives and camping, so we are trying to figure out a good, multipurpose knife that isn't going to cost us an arm and a leg.

oldsarge

The only problem with not spending for a good knife is that if you buy cheap, you set yourself up for failure. I'm not saying you have to break the bank, but maybe something like Mora is a very good knife and well within most folks budget. The biggest issue with any knife is learning to use it properly. I don't know how much experience your nephew has with knives. One thing I can say for sure is that you definitely want to stay away from Frost Cutlery, Hibben knives and those ones you see at 2:00 AM on the home shopping network.

Here's a nice knife that's been well thought out and I'm considering picking one up.

Amazon.com: Ontario 7500 Blackbird SK-5 Wilderness Survival Knife (Brown): Sports & Outdoors

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I'll second oldsarge's recommendation on Mora knives. It's an inexpensive knife, not a cheap knife.

OutdoorMomma

Thanks for the tips. I will do a little more investigating and let my husband know, he's better with this part of the Christmas shopping. The nephew tried to talk me into throwing knives, but I don't think my brother and sister-in-law would appreciate that.

ppine

Forester
Maybe a small Swiss Army knife. We all had "jack knives" as kids. They had a can opener, two blades and a punch typically. Fixed blades or lock blade knives are actually safer. Kids like to stab stuff and the folders can collapse on the hand.

I like the Mora idea. Very durable and still get the job done for little investment. Kids lose stuff.

OutdoorMomma

He has half a dozen Swiss Army Knives, I think that's what got him into the knife kick in the first place. Hubby is now suggesting a Leatherman on top of getting him a knife, but I will probably find out that he has a half a dozen of those too.

ppine

Forester
Momma,
If he already has a half dozen knives, you might be indulging him in the way many modern kids are spoiled. Maybe he should earn some money and buy his own next knife. Then you will know how much he really wants "another knife."

CozInCowtown

Momma,
If he already has a half dozen knives, you might be indulging him in the way many modern kids are spoiled. Maybe he should earn some money and buy his own next knife. Then you will know how much he really wants "another knife."
.........or a quality sharpening stone/hone.

RingTwist

He sounds pretty well set on knives, actually. As Coz suggested, a whetstone would probably be more useful to him. What other camping supplies might he need?