Lake James NC Here I Come.

Roybrew

Going to be spending some time on Lake James NC. Boat in to an island campsite, looks like a peninsula but that's ok with me. Going to be nice weather 60s days 30s at night, I be sleeping like a baby.

A couple of concerns: I've got this new phone and no dry case to put it in, maybe good ziplock baggy?

Since this near the North Carolina mtns [emoji199] bears are possible.

Be Bear aware, right. I've never hung my food pack before or have used an "on site" food locker.

I've read plenty about hanging food packs in Bear areas. Is there anything that the posted literature doesn't tell a person, like unmentioned details. Wake up to a bear cooking me pancakes [emoji1642] for breakfast. Yummy.
Roy

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Roybrew

IMG_20221020_113459309_HDR.jpgcool and windy today. Mid 30s last night, be about the same tonight.IMG_20221020_111231586_HDR~2.jpg Now that's a canoe! IMG_20221020_165557329_HDR.jpg I bought these NRS neoprene booties about a year ago, and they've done very well. My socks were a little damp, but I think it was from perspiration. They dried quick enough.IMG_20221020_170231202_HDR.jpg Had a dinner of ramen noodles and mixed nutsIMG_20221020_154757145_HDR.jpg I've got the whole peninsula to myself IMG_20221020_153510005_HDR.jpgIMG_20221020_162226603_HDR.jpg just kick back and enjoy.
Roy

Roybrew

Right at about 30 degrees this morning. Slept great in my 40 degree bag, after getting that fleece liner out of thereIMG_20221020_220706836.jpg didn't have enough room to move around in that thing. I used the liner as a blanket over the top of the sleeping bag. Slept great.IMG_20221021_074408721.jpgIMG_20221021_073528594_HDR.jpg foggy this morning. IMG_20221021_080901712_HDR.jpg there's the sun peeping over now. IMG_20221021_074104805.jpg breakfast of coffee and oat meal.IMG_20221021_071410120_HDR.jpg
Roy

Cappy

amazing wonderful trip thanks so very much for the pictures I am currently physically unable to do that but truely love seeing your pictures I look pick over and savor each and every one thanks for sharing

Roybrew

Thanks Cappy. I enjoy sharing pictures. New phone takes pretty good pictures.

Going to be another bright [emoji41] and sunny day. It feels strange being on the other side of the mountains. IMG_20221021_102618972.jpgIMG_20221021_104844846.jpg It does feel different, I can't explain it. These mountains are south of where I live and now they're north of me. Anyhow another windy afternoon. This is a beautiful lake. Not seeing a lot of wildlife. Found plenty of deer and racoon tracksIMG_20221021_105214_01.jpg. Had to get up about 3:30am to use the bathroom. Fumbled around for my light and cut my finger on something. Had to clean it up and bandage it right then. I burned the same finger boiling water for my coffee this morning. My poor finger. I'm glad it's not raining. I can handle the cold but trying to get dressed and stuff in a little tent if it was raining would suck.
Roy

Cappy

cut burnt fingers make you remember the trip as does struggling to get dressed in the rain I have been on countless camping trips. that I honestly dont recall with out deep thought. But epic both good and bad I can recall easily Like the time..................... ;) anyways great shots as always.

Northern Dancer

Excellent photos and funny commentary - great stuff Roybrew. I think you know what I'm going to say.

There are excellent tents that you can stand up in. Rarely do I crawl into a tent these days. In fact the last weekender I used a no-zipper sleeping bag. Packed with Downey feathers and the like it kept more than warm. I didn't get tangled once and I stayed warm all night. And yes, I have a night container that permits me to stay in my warm sleeping bag. This summer I used my new A-frame tent - light and spacious it afforded me the opportunity to stand and get dressed. It was a blessing when we had a three-hour downpour.

Northern Dancer

I noticed the "camp box". Sure would like to know more about it. I recall you were making something way back for use in the canoe. I use a round pack for my kitchen stuff when I canoe. I finished a "camppox" today and all I need to complete the project is to put my logo and decorations on. I should tell you I was isolated for three weeks because I managed [I don't know how] to contract Covid 19. I'm fully vaccinated and I believed it helped immensely. The medication sure tasted terrible. My symptoms were fairly light but it is the policy of the agency for staff to take three weeks off.

Roybrew

Hey all. Yep Cappy you are right, it makes for camping memories. Good memories because it's nothing serious, and was really no big deal. It was sort of funny standing outside in my skivvies with a jacket on, bandaging my finger with duct tape and piece of paper towel. Glad no one was around.

View attachment 3664 there it is in front of the bear box. I holds a lot of stuff. I made it a couple of years ago. I have a new phone and the pictures of it are on the computer. It is awkward to carry.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a more light weight and packable sleeping bag. I saw the zipper-less ones on line, but don't know anything about them. My sleeping bags are heavy and not very packable. Comfy and plenty of room. I have a bigger tent but didn't want to bring it. No rain in forecast, and I really didn't need a tent it's just a false sense of security. I'd love to have an A frame tent like the one you pictured, but I've 5 tents so far. How could I justify it with my wife? She already looks at me like I've lost my mind for camping when it's that cold out.

I've been vaccinated and have had 3 boosters since. So far so good. There are no guarantees, but I do believe it will lessen the effects of it if you get it. Most people I work with have had it. Some had minimal problems, some had it rough, some have had it twice already, and I know a few that didn't survive because they got pneumonia or other complications. Some vaccinated and some not. I figured it's a matter of time before my wife and I get it. She substitutes at the local high school, there's always a student puking or blowing slobbery nose buggers, and other icky stuff. I hate being sick, makes me feel icky.

Any how, packed up camp and headed back. The paddles I made are definitely to heavy. I'll try to make some lighter ones this winter. I was dreading carrying that back breaking 85 pound tin Lizzie of a canoe up the hill to the truck. There were 2 couples on the beach when I got there. The 2 guys just put in their yaks and we're taking off fishing, and the ladies were hanging their hammocks. I carried my packs up and returned for my camp tote. The 2 ladies offered to carry the canoe up there for me? What??! I, politely, told them that it was heavy and they didn't need to burden themselves with. But if they wanted a challenge, have at it. I grabbed my tote and headed up to load it. After I loaded that I heard them huffing and puffing coming up the grassy bank, wow! What a couple of women. I thanked them profusely. That sure was nice of them.

It was a great trip and I really enjoyed the weather. I slept great in the cold nights and the chilly evenings made the fire more enjoyable.
Roy