laws on machetes

carmen

I know in some states even having a butterfly knife is bad, but what about machetes? I ask because we do have one from a trip (many years ago before the kids were born). It is properly locked up and we never take it out, its more of a souvenir piece, it still makes me wonder though whats the law on having one?

dinosaur

troublemaker
Interesting question. I don't know the answer. I have one with a beautiful leather sheath. It was made in San Salvador back in the seventies. I picked it up on a trip to St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. I've used it on occasion to clear paths but I never tried to walk down the streets of a city with it strapped to my hip. I'd imagine most towns would frown on it but I'm not sure about the law being able to arrest you for carrying cutlery, Still, I am fairly certain it would make the police uncomfortable enough they would at least tell you to leave it at home on your next sojourn into the city.

bsmit212

I would bet that it depends on where you are. And possible even the situation. For example, if you are wondering around a town with it strapped to your hip, like dino said cops might ask a few questions, but if it is say in the back of a landscape truck, hopefully cops would not bug you as it is for work.

RingTwist

I never even thought about law implications for having a machete; we have one in the garage somewhere. I agree that wearing it is probably not a good idea but otherwise I'd guess you'd be fine.

ChadTower

I don't think knives are illegal in many places. You can't pull it out and threaten anyone with it. I haven't actually heard of any laws here in MA that say you cannot walk down the street with a knife in your pocket.

Granted, people here will look at you sideways, and might be put off by a good knife hanging from your belt.

Gondor

I have one from SOG and I carry it rarely because where I am you don't need such tool. I'm afraid to use it for processing wood and it's a big tool for utility purposes.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
If it's a fixed blade knife, you should be able to carry or have it on you no problem. Here in pa you can't have a folding blade knife larger than 5 inches iirc.

oldsarge

Check with your local law enforcement, they'll fill you in. If you're going out of state, check with them.

Grandpa

I don't know the laws here specifically but it is common in the fall to see hunting knives strapped on. Most of us have typical hunting knives but there always has to be a few idiots that think having a short sword makes them look tough.

Couple years neighbor had been out deer hunting, had to come in early and drive into Utah to pick his wife up at the Salt Lake International airport. He walked all through the airport, found his wife, gathered her luggage and just before they reached the car, she started laughing. "Do you realize you just walked all the way through an International airport with a six inchhunting knife plainly visible?" His wife was the only one to say a word.

carmen

I can promise you I am not running around downtown in the markets with one or toting it to school when I pick up the kids. I know we had a run-in with stray dogs (all pits) a few months back, animal control said do what you need to do to protect yourself, mainly on your property. If my kids were out in the yard when it happened I am sure most would not see me in the same light.

I am wondering now though because even if we have an alarm system (which we do) we are still currently without a CWL (or a gun), what would happen if someone broke in when my husband was away and I went for the machete? I am guessing only to defend myself and disable the attacker, nothing more. Am I at fault and can I get fined?

oldsarge

If someone breaks into your house, you can use whatever is at hand to defend yourself. Your first mistake is try to disable the attacker. When you start looking for targets to disable, you are just prolonging the assault on you. This individual cares nothing for you! Your attack on him , not defense, should be with extreme force of violence and unrelenting. Once he's down get away.

As far as a machete is concerned, once you start swinging it, you are going to do a lot of damage, messy, messy ,messy! The image alone of you standing there with that thing may frighten him off.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have to agree with Cowtown. I know a guy who has a black bladed machete for clandestine ops with a copy of Outdoor Life wrapped around the sheath (detachable magazine).

carmen

The sheath is beautiful and normally it is locked in a case that is hung on the wall up high away from pets and kids. I love the work they did on it and I still have no clue where the husband picked it up from, I think Belize? I hope to never need to use it and while we have an alarm system, some nights he works very late and I do not trust anyone unless I know them, esp. if they are trying to break into my house.

Esperahol

I've heard boo about them around here, but then this is the South and hunting is something everyone does. I mean kids come to class with their rifle in the back of their trucks and such, so a machete isn't going to get too many looks so long as nobody gets threatened with the stupid thing.

dinosaur

troublemaker
This is the South and hunting is something everyone does.
I think I know what you're talking about here. I want you to know that "up Nawth" us country folks all hunt too. I figure y'all are just talking about the big city folks.

ChadTower

A machete isn't going to help you against an angry dog. You're not going to have the distance to swing anything. A dog is serious in close self defense. You'd have to get all stabby and a machete is round. :)

oldsarge

A machete isn't going to help you against an angry dog. You're not going to have the distance to swing anything. A dog is serious in close self defense. You'd have to get all stabby and a machete is round. :)
True, I'd much rather have a knife.

Esperahol

I think I know what you're talking about here. I want you to know that "up Nawth" us country folks all hunt too. I figure y'all are just talking about the big city folks.
Oh, I know ya'llun oop nawth hunt. I actually spent time up there because I like deer danggit and there are some mighty fine specimens further up. Some folks are very serious about their hunting, but some... Well weekend warriors are something you just have to take.

ChadTower

Well weekend warriors are something you just have to take.

Yep, yep, yep. Here in MA there are a few good safe hunters. There are more that like to wander around small conservation areas with $700 in Bass Pro gear, tags still on, and a high powered rifle. Last year my sons and I were fishing and a guy wandered in telling us all about how he had just missed a deer up over the ridge and it ran off before he could get his shot. He didn't seem the slightest bit deterred that he was hunting on the grounds of a 100 year old convent that forbids it. Or that 75 yards behind his target was a meditation garden where 90 year old nuns frequently sit.

And you all remember the hunting accident story I was updating last year where a state cop shot an old lady here because "her dog might have been a white tail".