Lenox Tri-fold folding saw...

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Lenox has come out with a nifty looking multi-use tool, with a rubberized handle and a folding blade that can be locked in various positions. The blade folds into the handle. It comes with two blades. The handle is six or eight inches long (I forgot which), and is fairly inexpensive. The saw's sturdy blade will cut wood, metal, and many things in between.

I thought it might be an interesting addition to my GHB, but I'm not sure as to just how many uses it would have when afield.

Can you come up with any practical ideas (besides amputations!)?

Hikenhunter

The blade looks like the short reciprocating saw blades. They are pretty cheap and last a long time. I think the uses for this tool would be limited only by the size of the blade.

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

Hikenhunter;

The blade looks like the short reciprocating saw blades. They are pretty cheap and last a long time. I think the uses for this tool would be limited only by the size of the blade.

Hi...

They said they would send me a free blade for that saw...a blade primarily for wood, I think.

Yes, they are the same recip blades. Longer ones can be used in that handle also.

Takes the 'usual' 6 to 8 weeks, etc.

Cappy

I am a bow saw kinda guy maself, but those folding saws are nice too. No matter what ya choose for a saw ya really need several blades. Big wood teeth are a must for fire wood but use less on metal or bone. Blades are available anywhere and cheap so get a variety.

ppine

Forester
That saw is designed to cut things like sheetrock and emt and pvc. It would take forever to cut wood. To cut wood you need large teeth with rakers and a lot of set for a wide kerf to prevent binding.

I was car camping with a friend this week for a couple of days. I decided to procure some wood. He says "we had to drive to get this wood." I walked up a steep hill behind the campground a grabbed a dead fir tree and dragged it downhill to camp. Then my friend pulls out his axe and saw. It was too slow so I banged on the tree until it was in pieces small enough to stuff in the fire and push. Problem solved.

wvbreamfisherman

That saw would come in handy for things like trimming branches to improve a shooting lane from a stand, or maybe remove a limb that has your fly line hopelessly tangled.

Other than that I think it's pretty light for most uses.

ppine

Forester
wv,
Have you ever tried to cut wood with a short hacksaw blade? It is the wrong tool for the job. I would move 3 feet for a better shooting lane and keep my backcasts out of the trees.

I am not picking on the tool, but there seems to be a lot of interest in little gizmos that just complicate simple sports like backpacking.

wvbreamfisherman

wv,
Have you ever tried to cut wood with a short hacksaw blade? It is the wrong tool for the job. I would move 3 feet for a better shooting lane and keep my backcasts out of the trees.

I am not picking on the tool, but there seems to be a lot of interest in little gizmos that just complicate simple sports like backpacking.
I agree about the hacksaw blade. One of the posters upthread mentioned a longer wood cutting blade. That might make it useful for the little jobs I mention. I had a swiss army knife a long time ago that had a saw blade (a gift- I'd never had bought that model myself), and it would have been adequate for those jobs.

As far as the shooting lanes go, the brush around here can be pretty thick. Thick enough that it isn't always possible to just move to an open area. A little judicious pruning is pretty useful. I generally use garden shears, though.

I'm not putting my back cast in the trees as often as I used to, but I have to say that my roll cast could stand improvement.