Looking for a camping/backpacking stove

Grandpa

I do not like carrying free liquids so my preferrence are the cannister stoves. MSR's pocket rocket and Snow Peak's Gigipower are my favorites. Now you will hear from the white gas and Alcohol advocates.

CamperinSeattle

I guess my main purpose for a stove is to boil water so something small and effective like the MSR pocket rocket seems like a good option. Thanks for the suggestions!

Simplify

The last two camp stoves I had were confiscated by TSA as my luggage went through. I got to my destination, opened the backpack, and they were gone.

My new technique is to simply buy sternos when I arrive at my destination and, when camping on the trail, I put three rocks that are a little taller than the sterno around it and put the pot of water on the rocks. That serves as my stove.

CamperinSeattle

The last two camp stoves I had were confiscated by TSA as my luggage went through. I got to my destination, opened the backpack, and they were gone.

My new technique is to simply buy sternos when I arrive at my destination and, when camping on the trail, I put three rocks that are a little taller than the sterno around it and put the pot of water on the rocks. That serves as my stove.
This is a great idea. I haven't flown with any backing gear but I now know what to leave out when I do! Thanks!

ponderosa

I've flown with canister stoves in checked luggage several times. You have to buy the fuel canister at your destination, but the stove is fine. A liquid fuel stove with gas residue may be another story.

Pathfinder1

Hi...
There are also many stoves being produced that work on woodland 'debris'...sticks, etc. Some can put out some decent heat. Some are a little pricy, though...!!

Also, there's always an Esbit in my GHB...just in case...!!