Magnifying glass as fire starter

Simplify

A magnifying glass is a good item for wilderness firestarting.

The glass concentrates the solar energy into a small area which can be focused on tinder.

A continuously reusable fire source.

Obviously it is not useable on cloudy days but is a handy item to have for firestarting when the sun is out.

Pathfinder1

A magnifying glass is a good item for wilderness firestarting.

The glass concentrates the solar energy into a small area which can be focused on tinder.

A continuously reusable fire source.

Obviously it is not useable on cloudy days but is a handy item to have for firestarting when the sun is out.

Hi...

You stated correctly re: its use on cloudy days.

For emergency use though, there are better choices for fire starting, such as REI Stormproof matches, BIC lighters (no lighters with the see-through fuel compartment, though...they fail miserably), highway flares, ferro rods, etc.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I would suggest practicing with one before depending on it for fire starting. They don't work quite as well as YouTube makes out.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I've been starting fires with a magnifying glass since I was nine. It's very easy. You just have to have the right tinder.

ChadTower

I have never had trouble with it either. I wouldn't want to keep one as my only firestarter but considering it weighs almost nothing in your pack why wouldn't you carry one? Even a cheap plastic one will work in the afternoon sun.

Just like everything else in life you only whip it out if the conditions are right.