Making seats more comfortable

Cappy

Mac das a fine lookin rig ya got there do ya troll with all those rods. A friend from another forum trolls with a rack like that for catfish to great success The only thing I can add about canoe comfort is good padding they make flotation cushions and on long trips a back rest is very nice to take the pressure off when ya stretch or rest..

MacGyver

Thanks, Cappy. That's actually a rod rack that swings to the side so I have access to the rest of the canoe AND as a means to carry the rods while on the road. I do have holders on the side and the stern for trolling though.

I guess I could've answered the OP before instead of being a smarta**. When I used to do long paddling trips, I had those clip on seat backs that I padded out an old beat up pillow. But my biggest discomfort came from the seat height. I don't figure most people can do much about it because of the low center of gravity needed for stability, but unlike most canoes, the Coleman Scanoes are very wide with a flat bottom. That allowed me to go up to what I guess you'd call normal chair height. It made all the difference in the world for me. Then I got "semi-old" and decided I'd only paddle when the props were hitting bottom. :)

ppine

Forester
Cane seats are pretty good, but benefit with the addition of a back rest.
For tractor type seats, glue a layer of ensolite or backpacking pad on them.
For flat seats it is possible to add a Crazy Creek type chair with a back rest.
Back rests can impede paddling somewhat, and can be removed for serious paddling. A swivel seat would be even a little bit harder to paddle in.

Bojib

Have you considered the "stadium seats". They are small padded seats made to strap to the bleachers at some outdoor stadiums. It would work if you have a flat bench seat in your canoe, but if you have the plastic seats with a little back rest on them already then it wouldn't.

Back in my canoe days I had a stadium seat. It was good when moving slow. Still wasn't the most comfortable thing. My canoe was large enough that I could fit a small beach chair, one that only sit about an inch up off the ground in the bottom of the canoe, and the back rest on it had a more reclined position. I'd just sit and stretch my legs out with that, it was the most comfortable option I found. Couldn't really paddle, but I liked just sitting back and floating sometimes when it was possible.

ppine

Forester
It is no big deal to change seats or lower them in your boat. The center of gravity is very important in canoes. Sitting up high creates some serious problems especially in fast water.

Roybrew

I had one of those Coleman canoes with the molded plastic seats a few years ago. Sitting on that plastic was horrible! Made my behind sore and itch like all get out. So I mounted a swivel seat on them. The ones with a good back and nice padding. The seat raised me up about 5 inches higher and was a disaster. I rolled it twice the day after I put them in. I saw a picture of the seat in a Souris River canoe and it looks really comfortable because of the way it's curved
the ones in my Mohawk and Mad River canoes are flat

ppine

Forester
There are hangers now like the one in the photo that can be hung from gunwales. There is no need to drill holes in the hull like the old days.

Arla

I had one of those Coleman canoes with the molded plastic seats a few years ago. Sitting on that plastic was horrible! Made my behind sore and itch like all get out. So I mounted a swivel seat on them. The ones with a good back and nice padding. The seat raised me up about 5 inches higher and was a disaster. I rolled it twice the day after I put them in. I saw a picture of the seat in a Souris River canoe and it looks really comfortable because of the way it's curved
the ones in my Mohawk and Mad River canoes are flat

Roybrew
I have thinly knitted seat padding that is super uncomfortable, not mention, broken. Even though they look uncomfortable, this padding is more durable and comfortable. Also it is connected to the seat so you don'y have to take it on and off. (I have tried it on other canoes. Still haven't fixed my own :00: .)

Roybrew

I made these for my tandem canoe. Little larger than I needed, but way more comfortable than the original seats. I need to make one for my solo canoe.

ppine

Forester
If you are serious about canoeing at all, then you want your seat below the gunwales of the boat. You can use hangers or plates with rivets. Well below the gunwale is even better. I had an old Sawyer Charger that was 18 and 1/2 feet. They are no longer made but it was the boat that the McGuffins paddled across Canada. The previous owner had lowered the seats from the standard position. That boat was fast and 15 inches deep. With the lowered seat position the center of gravity was noticeably lower and the boat was very stable even in rough water.

I like Roybrew's seat. Is this your position for paddling solo? It would be backwards for tandem paddling.