Man living close to bears

Marshmallow

I was just watching a television show where a man is so trusted by a huge black bear that the bear let the man take his heart beat as he was heading into hibernation. This is one courageous man, and the bear, too, for that matter.

Grandpa

Remember the show Grizzly Adams? Then on the other hand, there's been a couple of guys that have gone to live with bears that ended up dying with them too.

Pathfinder1

Grandpa;
Remember the show Grizzly Adams? Then on the other hand, there's been a couple of guys that have gone to live with bears that ended up dying with them too.

Hi...

Yes...and that seems to happen quite regularly, too. Gee, I wonder why...!!

Old Grizzly did have another 'unusual' fate befall him, though. Remember the 'burning beard' incident...??

bsmit212

What was that movie, I think it was call Grizzly man maybe, where the guy lived with the Grizzlies. I never saw it so dont know if he took heart beats, but I do know **Spolier alert** he got killed by the bears at the end of the movie.

Another simlar one. There was on epison of An Idoit Abroad where he visited a house where they had a hippo as a pet. Would come into the house, and they would bath it and brush it's teath. Those things can be more dangrous and deadly than any bear. Some people do crazy things.

Grandpa

What was that movie, I think it was call Grizzly man maybe, where the guy lived with the Grizzlies. I never saw it so dont know if he took heart beats, but I do know **Spolier alert** he got killed by the bears at the end of the movie.

Another simlar one. There was on epison of An Idoit Abroad where he visited a house where they had a hippo as a pet. Would come into the house, and they would bath it and brush it's teath. Those things can be more dangrous and deadly than any bear. Some people do crazy things.
The Grizzly man was about Tim Treadwell, another nut case that got away with it for years. Too bad he got his lady killed with him though. There was also another guy and his girl but I think they set up shop over in Siberia on a remote section of the Kamchatka penninsula. He was also bound and determined to prove that men and wild bears could be best friends. The bears even invited him and his lady for lunch one day.

WillaMarie

I've never thought that any of that was a good idea. If you want to observed them from afar, then ok. I know there are times when humans get away with this but in the long run, they are wild animals and should be treated with great respect.

CozInCowtown

Remember *Timothy Treadwell*?
These are wild animals that are very dangerous. In an uncontrolled enviroment this is what happens, bear poo!!
Not only did Timothy and his girlfriend die, the bear had to be put down also.
Kinda counter productive from a tree huggers perspective IMO.
Timothy was a flake and got what was comeing to him for being so stupid.
Treadwell was born Timothy Dexter to Val and Carol Dexter on Long Island, New York, and was one of five children. He attended Connetquot High School, where he achieved average grades and was the swimming team's star diver. He was also very fond of animals, and kept a squirrel named Willie as a pet. In an interview with his parents in the film Grizzly Man, they say he was an ordinary young man until he went away to college. There, he claimed that he was a British orphan who was born in Australia. According to his account, he became an alcoholic after he lost the role of Woody Boyd to Woody Harrelson in the sitcom Cheers.
Coz

Last edited:

Pathfinder1

CozInCowtown;

Remember
These are wild animals that are very dangerous. In an uncontrolled enviroment this is what happens, bear poo!!
Not only did Timothy and his girlfriend die, the bear had to be put down also.
Kinda counter productive from a tree huggers perspective IMO.
Timothy was a flake and got what was comeing to him for being so stupid.

Coz

Hi...

Super interesting...I didn't know those details.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

carmen

We caught a video clip the other day online somewhere of a guy who helped to raise a lion and she ended up having cubs. He has such a great time with that big kitty that she lets him bring the cubs to her during nursing times. I was quite shocked thinking how long it took to gain that much trust. I am sure its quite similar with the bear too, sometimes animals just surprise us with their disposition.

Grandpa

We caught a video clip the other day online somewhere of a guy who helped to raise a lion and she ended up having cubs. He has such a great time with that big kitty that she lets him bring the cubs to her during nursing times. I was quite shocked thinking how long it took to gain that much trust. I am sure its quite similar with the bear too, sometimes animals just surprise us with their disposition.
You might get away with this in a pen with a known animal but out in the wild with various critters coming and going, it's a sure bet eventually one of those critters is going to have a grudge going.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I do remember a video I saw about two guys who raised a lion from a cub (and mostly indoors, apparently).

When it just got too big to be considered a 'pet' anymore, they arranged to bring it to Africa, where a gamekeeper gradually acclimated it to the area, where it was then set free.

A year or two later, the guys who raised it came back for a visit. Cautiously entering the area where the lion was last seen, the lion spoted them, cantered toward them...then ran full speed toward them, leaped upon them...and HUGGED them...!! It was an amazing reunion...!! The lion had recognized them instantly!

Perhaps some of you have seen that video also. I think that a movie was made about it as well.

Hikenhunter

I had a raccoon as a pet when I was about 14 years old. She had already been "TAMED" before I came into possession of her. I think she was 2 years old when I got her and for the next two years she was a blast. There were many fun times with her. ( Those stories being saved for the right place and time.) One day I noticed some hair loss in patches on her so we took her to the vet who determined that it was mange. As we treated her for the mange she seemed to get more aggressive till nobody could handle her anymore. For safety's sake my grandpa made me take her away one day and I had to put her down. One of the hardest things I ever had to do but I was told it was my responsibility and it had to be done, so I did it. This is just my story but I have heard others that are similar. The point to all these stories is that Wild animals are unpredictable, always, and should be left to be wild. Anytime you come in close contact with even the smallest of them you are putting yourself at some risk. Nobody deserves to die the way Tim Treadwell did but he put himself at risk, let down his guard and that is what happens. Wild animals should never be fully trusted because you do not know what they are thinking. When those lions ran full speed towards those fellas who came back to visit them they could have killed them just as easily as they hugged them. Those guys were lucky but next time those lions might be looking for dinner instead of wanting to have an old family reunion. JMO

ppine

Forester
I became a fan of Werner Herzog after watching his films about Treadwell. Tim was a tragic figure but was surely famous among uninformed urbanites around Los Angeles. People in Alaska felt sorry for him and put up with his antics which cost him his life in a very predictable way.

Mess with predators and bad things are sure to happen.

CozInCowtown

I became a fan of Werner Herzog after watching his films about Treadwell. Tim was a tragic figure but was surely famous among uninformed urbanites around Los Angeles. People in Alaska felt sorry for him and put up with his antics which cost him his life in a very predictable way.

Mess with predators and bad things are sure to happen.
That is pretty much what I got out his "adventures".

Marshmallow

All these man and beast friendships are great in a movie or children's book, but when it comes to making them come true in real life, that's where I'm drawing the line. Taking chances is just not worth the cost. Animals can kill you, even if they're just playing with you. I'm not hugging a gorilla, now matter how much he "loves" me.

Gondor

I grew up watching that show. That show almost defined my childhood and my later love to nature and animals. I watched the movie recently.

Barney

I can't remember the name of the guy that lives somewhere in Alaska and feed Grizzlies himself. Up till recently nobody knew about him. I can't remember the name of the show. He is still alive though.