Manuals?

Barney

I've read a lot of survival books and manuals and the one thing that boggles m still is that rarely you will find pocket size editions of these books. I know that the worst moment to read such books is in a survival situation but it's nice to have a packable edition in your pocket or pack when out of doors.

Gondor

There is a book of this size, SAS Survival Manual. But it is true. I've even seen hard cover editions out there. Imagine carrying that. To supplement your post with an additional note: why aren't these more often printed on waterproof paper?

Lamebeaver

Because each survival situation is somewhat unique, there is no "manual". Either you posess the requisite knowledge and are smart enough to improvise and figure things out or you are in trouble.

Of coruse, the best idea is to not get caught in a survival situation in the first place.

ppine

Forester
Lamebearver,
I really like your post. It is the best thing you have written so far. Please keep it up.

Greatoutdoors

Barney funny you should mention this, but I was looking for the full size version of the SAS book and a couple of others and most of what I found was pocket sized and perfect for a BOB or glove compartment. I was on the Amazon site so you might want to check there. :)

Pathfinder1

Lamebeaver;

Because each survival situation is somewhat unique, there is no "manual". Either you posess the requisite knowledge and are smart enough to improvise and figure things out or you are in trouble.

Of coruse, the best idea is to not get caught in a survival situation in the first place.

Hi...

Very well put. This is what I regularly preach every chance I get.

Barney

Whoever is serious about learning these skills should know this. But I don't know what this has to do with pocket size book editions and where to find them.

oldsarge

My smallest book is 4"X7"x1", "Bushcraft" by Richard Graves. I had it many many years and it's on it's last leg. Next would be "Camping and Woodcraft" by Horace Kephart 4"X7"X2", this book is jammed packet with survival info. Not exactly pocket size but pack-able. If your looking for something to carry on you that will fit into your pocket, you might try Izula Gear Card Sets. Smokey Mountain Knife Works sells them in their catalog. These are 30mil plastic credit card stock information cards. I seen two different sets, one had survival info printed double side of 4 cards , the other was for navigation with 3 transparent map cards and 2 double sided cards with navigation instruction and basic survival. Each set was $9.99.