Mink Oil vs Waterproofing Spray

Rachel

Which do you prefer for waterproofing: mink oil or spray? I use the spray and it works, but is there any advantage to using mink oil instead?

Benny

I use the spray. It is a lot cheaper. I've never really tried the mink oil, but since it is a more "natural" approach it may last longer and you might need less of it....

Grandpa

Boots are treated by manufacture. If oil treated, silicone spray will ruin the oil treatment and mink oil will ruin the silicone treatment. Check when buying boot which to use. I was a mink oil fan, but ruined the waterproofing on a company issued pair of boots that were factory silicone treated.

Rachel

Wow, Grandpa, I guess I was just really lucky that I never ruined any boots with my waterproofing spray. I will be more careful in the future.

SweetSassyLady

I would rather use the waterproofing spray. I HATE the mink oil. It does go rancid after a while and it stinks to high heaven. Waterproofing spray works well enough and I would rather use it for that very reason.

dinosaur

troublemaker
The other problem with mink oil is that it softens leather and if used regularly will break down said leather and ruin your boots.

ttommyunger

ttommyunger
Mink oil v spray

Never used mink oil on boots. Gortex has solved my waterproofing problem so far as boots are concerned. Gortex lined boots are pricey, but how much do you value dry feet? I also use Gortex Gaiters in conjunction with a light rain suit in wet weather. I use Mink Oil on my gloves (I ride), jackets, belts and britches. I apply it about once a year just to keep the leather supple and nourished. I believe it adds years to the life of an item. I use a spray on the seams of a new tent before using it, that's about it for spray.

ChadTower

Have you ever seen a mink farm? Someone built one by my grandfather's house a couple years ago. It makes veal look like a humane process. Those poor mink live their whole lives never having seen sun or a space much larger than themselves for more than a minute or two.