moose meat

carmen

I would assume going after a moose is big game, to me it is. We were watching a show the other day talking about hunting for moose (an Alaska show if I remember correctly). Has anyone here had moose meat before? What does it taste like, or maybe, similar to?

ppine

Forester
Carmen,
Keep this quiet. If you like deer meat, you will love elk. If you like elk, moose is one of the only wild game meats that is even better.

I served some elk on Saturday cooked over a fire with onions, garlic, oranges, cumin, and oregano. It was gone in no time.

We had a discussion at the party with several people that still remember the moose chili I made in 2006. I bought a mule from a guy up north that had just returned from a moose hunt in BC. He gave me some moose meat to seal the deal. I used a recipe that won the Oklahoma State Fair.

ppine

Forester
Charley,
I was on a pack trip early in my horse career back in the 70s. The guy buried a roast in the ground after breakfast with lots of coals. He claimed it was a chunk of burro meat. Lots of people believed him. It was a pot roast.

wvbreamfisherman

I've had moose roast and steaks a couple times whilst visiting friends in the Gaspe'. It is the best wild meat I ever had. Something like lean beef but very fine-grained.

ppine

Forester
Cappy,
Sounds like an Irish or Scottish drinking song. Just the thing for a party after a rugby game.