My blades.

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
My blade kit for 2012. 24" hardware bowsaw, Estwing camp axe, KA-BAR/BECKER BK-2 and Mora Companion MG carbon.

This hatchet was my grandfathers and is my most prized blade.

My knives.

The Mora has a finished spine and a tomato patina, it's a wonderful all around knife. Sorry I don't have more action shots of it.

The newest member, my BK-2. I stripped the finish, machined the spine, added walnut scales, refinished the edge to 25deg(Lanskey), and my wife bought me the Skystorm Leather sheath for our anniversary. This is quickly becoming my favorite piece of kit.

Last edited:

Barney

Great pics! When you say 20 degree angle on that BK2, do you mean overall or on the sides? I'm curious how that blade would perform on 20 degree angle overall.

Gondor

Very nice common man tool set, thanks for posting. I guess there is a time in every man's life when he needs to have one of those Estwing camp axes. :)

oldsarge

Did you make the scales on the Becker or purchase them? Nice set up over all. I'm still going to pick up a Mora some day.

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
Thanks for the comments.
The 20deg I stated is incorrect(I'll fix) it's actually a 25 deg, 12.5 deg per side, and it gets to hair popping sharp easily and retains the edge very well, then comes back with a strop when it does dull. The scales(ebay) were roughed out of recycled flooring and I just had to finish them.
The Estwing will most likely be replaced with a boys axe or Hudson Bay by next year. Then I'll either retire it to the truck, or pass it on to one of my sons.

Gondor

Thanks for the comments.
The 20deg I stated is incorrect(I'll fix) it's actually a 25 deg, 12.5 deg per side, and it gets to hair popping sharp easily and retains the edge very well, then comes back with a strop when it does dull. The scales(ebay) were roughed out of recycled flooring and I just had to finish them.
The Estwing will most likely be replaced with a boys axe or Hudson Bay by next year. Then I'll either retire it to the truck, or pass it on to one of my sons.
25 is pretty sharp angle. But I'm guessing due to huge spine thickness this is good for this knife. At first, I'll always go with sharper angle and then increase it over time depending on how fragile the blade performs.

Barney

I like that Doug Ritter's BK2 version more because of the drop point and lighter weight. It is also more tip heavy which I prefer for larger knives.

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
The saw only goes about a mile to my camp, but the hatchet and mora have several multi day backpacking trips on them, 10 miles a day(give or take).
The BK-2 is going to replace the mora and hatchet on backpacking trips. It does 90% as good as both the mora and hatchet together.