National parks need money — but raising entry fees could backfire

jason

fear no beer
The American public loves national parks, even as some destinations are becoming snarled in traffic and hikers pack places such as Zion’s Emerald Pools and River Walk and Arches’ Devil’s Garden.

After growing by 20 percent over the past decade, park visitation continues to surge to record numbers. Yet elected leaders have failed to increase spending for the 413-site system at a comparable pace, putting the National Park Service (NPS) in a bind. Does the agency continue to put off long-neglected maintenance or instead impose onerous entrance fees on those who visit?

Full Story http://www.sltrib.com/news/environment/2018/01/02/national-parks-need-money-but-raising-entry-fees-could-backfire/

I know fees was briefly discussed in another thread. But I thought this was still an interesting read.

Grandpa

Most of the big western parks charge by the car so even families can afford to still visit even with the big hikes. And the raise from 10 to 90 for us old farts is still a great bargain. Its for the rest of our lives. I use mine several times a year. I think the number of park visitors will continue to increase. The world is shrinking fast. People come from all parts of the world now to visit these parks. A few years ago, a couple of the grand kids and I came up out of one of the canyons in Bryce and stopped for a rest. The place was swarming with people getting off and on the shuttle buses. After a few minutes a gentleman setting next to us on a bench leaned over and said, "I've been waiting for my grand kids here for about an hour and you are the first I've heard speaking English." I then noticed he was correct. The visitors were speaking in all kinds for foreign tongues.

jason

fear no beer
Most of the big western parks charge by the car so even families can afford to still visit even with the big hikes.
If you see what it takes to take a family to Disney/Universal/Bush Gardens it is a steal to go to park. Even within it being driving distance ticket prices for any of those have kept us away, let alone food/drink prices.

Cappy

Thank God for the ole farts pass. State campgrounds that we love cost us 13$ a night. The park we jsut got back from is a very nice state park maybe not big time out doorsy deep woods stuff but it has great fishing several nice trails some board walks through the swamp the spots we frequent are facing the woods not a neighbor have plenty dead fall fire wood and not far to the bath house. It really saves ya tank space taking nice long showers in the bath house. I also do my brown business there and yellow in a jug at night to pour in da woods That way we can stay parked for 2 weeks with out having to go to the dump station.

Edwardfug

I concur Zimbabwq Parks have wide diversity in wild flora and fauna..Its climatic conditions are favorable all the year for tourists..It is an extravagant place to visit.

Edited to remove advertising

Cappy

All us ole farts(over 62 ) needs to be aware of the golden age pass port it is now 80$ for a life time card and you can make that money back with just a week of camping in most states and free access to all National parks. This is a good write up but you really should google it up your self and get you one if you haven't its a really good government benefit that is often over looked.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/how-to-purchase-the-senior-pass-3361867

Grandpa

I concur Zimbabwq Parks have wide diversity in wild flora and fauna..Its climatic conditions are favorable all the year for tourists..It is an extravagant place to visit.

Edited to remove advertising
I visited Tanzania for a couple of weeks and everything you said about Zimbabwe is true for Tanzania. Beautiful parks with abundant wildlife.

ppine

Forester
The National Park system is chronically under funded. People should be willing to pay more so maintenance can get caught up. A lot of the money that used to go natural history, now goes to law enforcement. Big parks have big city problems like traffic, air pollution and crime. I avoid the summer months but love to visit in the off season.

For the last 100 years in America sportsmen have contributed the most money to outdoor projects by buying liscenses and tags for fishing and hunting. The Robertson-Pittman Act taxes firearms and ammunition. This is not debatable, it is reality. Over the years there have been plenty of bills introduced in Congress to tax things like hiking boots, backpacks, bird books etc, but none of them have ever gained any traction.

Cappy

I have paid for fishing licence since I was 16 hunting licences and trapping licences since 20. I am very pleased that the state of Louisiana has a wonderful retirement plan for licences. Me and Peg pay 5$ each a year for what I call a roofers licence. It covers everything. :Yo: