New to Compound Bows

Archer

Good day everyone. I have a question for those of you who have compound bows. I've been doing target archery with recurve bows for a few years now, but my boyfriend is talking about bringing me along on his boss' next hunting trip. I would love to show off my archery skills by asking them if I could use a bow and not a gun. I realize that there are many differences between recurve and compound (I've shot both), but since I'll be borrowing a bow, is there anything I should be prepared for/ask for before we head out?

Thanks ahead of time!

jason

fear no beer
There may be difference in draw weight. I would see if you can shoot it a few times before going out.

What does have me worried though is you say bring a bow instead of a gun. I know in a lot of states, if not all, have separate seasons for gun hunting and bow hunting. I would check with the local laws.

Bushman

Well, you said you've shot both types of bows before, so you know that it takes more strength to pull a compound bow. I think you meant to say crossbow and not gun, because like Jason says there are different seasons for the two and you mentioned borrowing a bow and showing off archery skills.

Anyway the main thing you have to worry about is not so much the bow but the animals you'll be hunting. I'm sure you know this, but if you don't kill the animal with the first hit you have to chase him down and catch him, which is always a pain.

Like Jason said, get a few practice shots in with the borrowed bow so you can get a feel for it.

By the way, what do you or rather what does your boyfriend's boss usually hunt?

Archer

He usually hunts deer. I guess I'm going to have to go and ask, because I didn't realize that there were different seasons. I've never been hunting before. I would much prefer a compound bow over a crossbow; I don't think I'd feel like much of an archer with a crossbow. I'm going to check and see where they're planning on going and even if using a compound bow is feasible - thanks for the heads up on that, guys!