New

peaceguru

Hi, I just joined and thought this would be a good place to start. I grew up with kind of a dark childhood, I never really got out in the wilderness then, but now I think I've gotten the bug(no pun intended). I got a portable hammock recently, and now I just cant get enough. I'm starting to think I should plan an actual camping trip for myself. Anyway, that's what brought me here. Can ya'll give me your input?

Cappy

First off welcome. This forum has lots and lots of helpful posts already written by some very experienced outdoors folks. search the forum or cruise the topics for a lot of good information. Feel free to ask a specific question and folks will either respond or refer you to a already posted reply. You say ya got ya self a hammock. Does it have a roof or use a tarp? does it have screen sides or do ya use a fine screen net.? do ya have a pad for the bottom have ya considered using it as a tent and sleeping on the ground if there aint no trees handy? The more specific question ya ask and the more info ya provide will make it easier to help ya.

peaceguru

It's just a hammock and stand, no roof or sides. I didn't even think about looking for one with a tarp. It is fully portable, but if I sleep in it I will be sleeping under the stars. Mainly I'm just not sure where to get started, so.......

Terasec

Welcome
Where to start? Think you already started
Get out and hang that hammoch
Even if its for a day hike
Tarp can come later when you need rain protection
Till then just get out and hang
Learn regs for different land designations near you such as state parks state forests, national parks, wildlife management units, preserves etc.....

Roybrew

Welcome peaceguru, a hammock is a great start. I started with a single grand trunk, then got an Enos double nest. Of course then I had to have a tarp and then the mosquito net. I would say best place to start is anywhere your comfortable staying the night. Glad to have ya. I'm going nuts to get out and camp a little.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

peaceguru

Haha, looks like I have already started. Since its warmed up the past couple of days I've spent most of my time in my backyard breaking it in.

MacGyver

The fact that your hammock has a stand and you're calling it portable has me curious what kind it is. I'm definitely one to break the unwritten rules when it comes to what people call camping gear, but I'm picturing one of the typical flat hammocks you see in peoples' yards. If so, I'm wondering if you've spent any amount of time in it and how comfortable it is. I didn't believe it myself until I bought an ENO but, at least for me, "yard hammocks" are nowhere near as comfortable for sleeping as the more traditional backpacking hammock.

Roybrew

I remember the first time I slept the night in a hammock. I worked the night before, and we left right after I got off that morning. I didn't know if it was because I haven't slept in 36 hours or if hammock sleeping was that great, but I slept solid and comfortable. I did wake in the middle of night to relieve myself. I had the presence of mind to get my head lamp and check out my shoes and ground below for crawling or slithering critters, always a concern of mine when sleeping in the woods. Also my wife and I had a couple of pomeranians at home, so I did have a thought that I might actually try to pet a furry critter that might happen to walk by. Ooh that would be bad.

Get Out an Do It!!

peaceguru

The fact that your hammock has a stand and you're calling it portable has me curious what kind it is. I'm definitely one to break the unwritten rules when it comes to what people call camping gear, but I'm picturing one of the typical flat hammocks you see in peoples' yards. If so, I'm wondering if you've spent any amount of time in it and how comfortable it is. I didn't believe it myself until I bought an ENO but, at least for me, "yard hammocks" are nowhere near as comfortable for sleeping as the more traditional backpacking hammock.
I was surprised by this at first too. The stand breaks down real easily and fits into its own case, just like the hammock. http://amzn.to/2BFP84P

Last edited by a moderator:

MacGyver

I was surprised by this at first too. The stand breaks down real easily and fits into its own case, just like the hammock. http://amzn.to/2BFP84P
That's a very cool item. A little bulky even for me, but I can see where it would make setting up a lot easier than having to find two trees that are both strong enough and close to where you want to sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacGyver

I think I've caught the bug:)
I know I've caught the bug. I've been trying to get out for over a month, but every weekend forecast has had rain in it - including this one. I don't mind so much camping when it's a pop up shower, but I won't go when I know for sure I'd be trudging around in mud.

Cappy

Since ya talking about state parks then ya car camping which is carrying stuff in ya car not on ya back. it's the way we roll now a days. Bring along some camp fire equipment a way to cook and your favorite hobbies. Fishing? walking? reading? take along a relaxing something you like to do. Please let us know how it goes take a few pictures and ask any thing. It's fun to make lists of what ya plan to bring with ya and refine them over time. It dont matter if its your first trip or 10,000sant trip always something to learn.

Roybrew

Yes lots of pictures. Wow going to be nice today and I'm going to bed.. wah. I need doctors note for rest of week.

Get Out an Do It!!

peaceguru

I do plan on hiking to my initial camping spot, just driving to the park. I'm not sure which category that puts me in.