Observations on Modern Backpacking

ppine

Forester
Just returned from 4 days up on the volcanic plateau of the southern Cascades. It was all we hoped for, with the exception that my partner Cindy had some problems making her pack fit (Lowe Alpine internal frame). I observed:

Good friends and dogs still make the best hiking companions.
It is good to be unplugged.
Dehydrated food has improved but not that much.
By the third day, cowboy poetry is welcome around the fire.
A headnet is important for bad mosquitoes.
Katadyn water pumps do what they are supposed to.
The new Big Agnes air-core is light but uncomfortable.
The old ThermaRest 2 1/2 in is heavy but really comfortable.
I am looking for an old Kelty external frame pack.
It is fun to see large mule deer from 25 yards.
Backpackers are a friendly group.
It is fun hike all day and not see another person.
The propane stoves are handy and work fine.

What observations have you made recently about modern backpacking techniques and equipment? How has the sport changed? For all the discussion I found it to be pretty much the same as always, but the equipment is somewhat lighter. We carried around 35 pounds, but that includes dog food, alcohol, and some other luxuries.

Grandpa

Sounds like you had a good trip Ppine. So where are the pictures?:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Hikenhunter

Just returned from 4 days up on the volcanic plateau of the southern Cascades. It was all we hoped for, with the exception that my partner Cindy had some problems making her pack fit (Lowe Alpine internal frame). I observed:

Good friends and dogs still make the best hiking companions.
It is good to be unplugged.
Dehydrated food has improved but not that much.
By the third day, cowboy poetry is welcome around the fire.
A headnet is important for bad mosquitoes.
Katadyn water pumps do what they are supposed to.
The new Big Agnes air-core is light but uncomfortable.
The old ThermaRest 2 1/2 in is heavy but really comfortable.
I am looking for an old Kelty external frame pack.
It is fun to see large mule deer from 25 yards.
Backpackers are a friendly group.
It is fun hike all day and not see another person.
The propane stoves are handy and work fine.

What observations have you made recently about modern backpacking techniques and equipment? How has the sport changed? For all the discussion I found it to be pretty much the same as always, but the equipment is somewhat lighter. We carried around 35 pounds, but that includes dog food, alcohol, and some other luxuries.
Buy the dogs thier own packs, let them carry thier own supplies and they can carry some of the alcohol too. This will lighten your load even more.

Barney

I like the idea of dog dogs carrying their own packs. I saw Mountainsmith carries some good packs. Anyway ppine, nice to see you had a good time out there.

Grandpa

Tank's pack is a Kelty large. He can carry 4 days food, his blanket and his food dish. (The bottom 2 inches of a plastic milk jug) I don't make him carry any of my stuff except what is needed to balance his pack as his food supply dwindles.
[/IMG]

ppine

Forester
I have used dog packs since the early 1970s with good results. The two Corgis are not really built to carry anything, and the BC is 15 years old. My next (younger) dog will be carrying a pack.

I will try the advice on the Big Agnes.

I am also not in the habit of sharing my photos with the world. It seems too personal.

carmen

What a cute dog! And for the record I have never met a backpacker (or a hippie) that was never anything but friendly. I think the more you unplug, the more you get back to your basics and people tend to relax a tad, its a great feeling.

wvbreamfisherman

I agree Coz- It took a little adjusting but once I got it right, my old Alice was quite comfortable, especialy in the hot weather, because the external frame allowed vntialtion between my back and the pack.

Re- propane stoves. For some reason I just can't warm up to them (no pun intended) I think the thrifty part of my soul hates discarding fuel cannisters. I know they work fine. My brother loves his, but I think I'll stick with my MSR Whisperlite (or my mini-Trangia, for short trips and day trips).

Glad you had a good time Ppine! Looking forward to getting out again this summer, but might be a while as my wife's medical condition will require my presence for a while.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I'm really just getting into it. Can't say how it's changed.

It's how it's changing me that's more important.

And I'm really into this DIY thing. I've put my canister stove away for my copy of a caldera cone and a cat food can with holes in it.

Barney

Tank's pack is a Kelty large. He can carry 4 days food, his blanket and his food dish. (The bottom 2 inches of a plastic milk jug) I don't make him carry any of my stuff except what is needed to balance his pack as his food supply dwindles.
[/IMG]
That is great way to involve your dog in your adventures. I've always been interested whether these packs would be too tough on a dog. But I guess some dogs are just built for hauling stuff.

Gondor

I never had a dog that could haul his own gear, which is why I'm soon adopting one that can. :) Nice picture there Granpa!

Grandpa

First, my apologies, Ppine, for allowing Tank to hijack this thread. He is my best hiking pard and always goes if possible.

I enjoy seeing the photos of others so I can enjoy the beauty vicariously of the trip. And I don't mind sharing the scenery shots with others.

The only advantage I see between my 2 inch T rest over the BA insulated air is the insulation from the ground is better with the T rest. The comfort is about the same if I fully inflate the BA, lay down sideways, then let air out until my hip reaches the ground. I still carry the T rest in the "r" months.

You are right about little change in the dehydrated foods but I think freeze dried has taken food to a much higher level. I still can only handle so much of that but I have found 3 or 4 mainstays that will get me through any length trip.

Your Nevada mule deer do like to visit up close. I've had does walk right up to within 5 feet sniffing and the bucks within 50 feet. It must be the lack of people that makes them so curious.

And yes, solitude from others is a great thing. It is getting hard to hike without running into others but out here in the west, there are still places to spend a week alone.

Glad you had a good trip.

Judy Ann

I have used dog packs since the early 1970s with good results. The two Corgis are not really built to carry anything, and the BC is 15 years old. My next (younger) dog will be carrying a pack.

I will try the advice on the Big Agnes.

I am also not in the habit of sharing my photos with the world. It seems too personal.
Oh I wish that you would post some landscape shots. I lived in Lake Tahoe at the foot of Heavenly, and in Squaw Valley for 10 years. I learned to golf in the Nevada desert. I miss the area and would love to see some pictures. A very special part of the country!

tramp

my observation, is people want to move to fast.heard two guys one time talking about they covered 15 miles on the trail in 4 hours!and didn't see a thing. I thinkit's better to slow down not cover so many miles a day and enjoy nature and the wild life in it.

ppine

Forester
Here we are 2 1/2 years later. My old dog has passed over the bridge and I have a one yo Border Collie that loves to go everywhere. She will be getting a pack soon after she is a little more mature.

I am now using the old Kelty Tioga with great and satisfying results. Few equipment changes. I haven't hunted the last couple of years and haven't put in enough time on aerobic conditioning. I am riding a bike after some new handlebars.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
Interesting post on what you noticed. I'd like to chime in.
Three days in the early spring in North West Alabama.
BA air core is light, but does sleep cold, seems comfortable.
Dehydrated food is getting old, rice or oatmeal with chicken pouch is better.
Carry way to much fuel. Enough to get by is not nearly enough.
Everybody snores, carry ear plugs.
Whiskey in the morning coffee is not bad, maybe even helpful.
Can't beat Western Mountaineering bags.
How did people camp before tyvek?
My life and general well being is better without TV and the news.
Wild hogs are ruining the forrest.
Most hikers are fine, some are just plain ill prepared and should be at home.
Nobody carries enough first aid. Few have enough water.
Never met a stuck up person on the trail.
Work takes up valuable time that should be spent hiking.
If someone looks lost, they are. Insist on helping them.

Simplify

If you run out of fuel or don't want to take it along in order to save weight you can still have freeze dried meals, oatmeal, etc with cold water.

Inflatable air mattresses will give you a better night's sleep than foam.