Ode to a Stove

Roybrew

No I am not going to write a poem.
I purchased this little inexpensive stove a couple of years ago. I use it at work for boiling water to make my coffee. I buy the little cans of gas that can be closed up in my 1 litre msr pot. All this fits in a cabinet, undetected by management.

It looks like this now. I'm wearing it out. I will buy another, and I may buy an extra to put in my ready to go pack.

Sometimes cheap.... I mean inexpensive, is great.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Grandpa

I finally retired my MSR pocket rocket after 18 years of faithful service. It still works but the valve is worn down to where it has a hard time on simmer.

Cappy

I still have my trusty ole green coleman 2 burner. I figure it to be around 50 years old. I recently retired it to the shed and got out my great grandpa's short legged 2 burner propane stove it was the stove in their camp/house.
27101562515127814.png1562515127814.png

Roybrew

I've still got my old trusty green Coleman white has stove also, but I had problems out of it and put it up. I also have the little single mantle red lantern my parents had since the early 60s. The old white gas stoves and lanterns were very dependable. I have seen nice indoor table lamps that ran on white gas. Still a few at antique stores.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Cappy

Man those are nice I rember as a small child going to my grandparents house back in the swamp they had gas lights in their house no elec ones. The house had only recently gotten elec. They had a few fans but had not wired lights in.

ppine

Forester
We used to have my grandfather's Coleman stove that he bought after WWI in 1920.
I wish I still had the old Swedish Optimus 80 brass stove.
It is easy to have affection for simple camping devices that do what are supposed to.

Cappy

What ppine said is very true its easy to grow fond of camping things that do their job well and over the years I have grown quite fond of coleman stoves, lanterns, and thermos bottles.

Roybrew

Last Tuesday night,
it's breaking out more but it still works. I'll leave this one at work.

I bought a Megellan for 13.99 and thought I'd try it out. I also purchased a one liter LTPot. The small can of gas and burner fits in the pot.
I'm at an event in Lexington Kentucky, so wife wouldn't let me have open burner in hotel so I made my favorite cup of mud on tail gate of truck.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Cappy

I sometimes load up my campfire perker and sit on the patio and let her rip just for the fun of it. Not today though:Smow:

ppine

Forester
I learned a trick from a friend. He makes breakfast on Sunday mornings with his Coleman stove in the back yard and reads the paper.
Some people just know how to live.

Northern Dancer

...this is a fascinating discussion about stoves. The old Coleman two-burner was the way to go for me at one time. Not anymore. The reality is the situation and kind of trip determines the kind of stove I will take. Sometimes I chose to use a simple can to control the cooking fire and use the twigs off the forest floor. I even have a new combination for base camp that allows me to use an oven.

So? How many stoves do I have not counting the ones I make? I have six including my old Coleman that I still use on occasion.

In terms of the stove/oven, I would not have purchased it but at the time it was dirt cheap and so I did because I could.

2835 Far too expensive to be practical.
I have a good set of cast iron equipment and the ol' Dutch is an excellent oven. I have learned to use it well.

ppine

Forester
I am home a lot now cooking with wood at the backyard campsite. Dutch ovens are the best way to cook there is.

Northern Dancer

...I have the "whole nine yards" - large oven, cook pot, grill, baking tins, fish fry pan, pancake pan, small fry pan, large frypan, holders, etc. I've had a lot of fun using the various parts. I can now bake a loaf of bread right over an open fire much to the amazement of my colleagues. I use a glass top so I can watch the dough come to life.

There are a lot of us home now - for some, it's an opportunity to do the things you are doing. Best wishes "ppine".

ppine

Forester
Some people like lots of equipment. I like some Dutch ovens a pot lifter and a shovel, that's it.
No gloves, trivets, charcoal, charcoal chimney, table, etc.
I like to bake in a Dutch oven with a cast iron lid so I can put coals on the lid. Top heat is the secret to baking

Northern Dancer

It all sounds good to me. At lunchtime today, I took down my old, old, old tin box Coleman stove. It worked; even the old fuel I had in the shed. It's really cool in this neck of the woods today and I'm looking for warmer days AND, hopefully a full camping season.

Northern Dancer

Today I tend to use an automatic start stove. This is the newest Woods [since 1885] I have in my inventory.

Roybrew

It's hard to beat the old Coleman stoves. I went and screwed mine up some how. I will fix it one of these days. Mom and Dad had an old 3 burner we used to take camping back in the late 60's. My sister had it now, and it works great.

Northern Dancer

It's hard to beat the old Coleman stoves. I went and screwed mine up some how. I will fix it one of these days. Mom and Dad had an old 3 burner we used to take camping back in the late 60's. My sister had it now, and it works great.
-----> It's simple, functional, rugged, practical and if you should drop it there is a good chance there will be no damage.