Old Man And The Jack

Camoguy

I just had one of my 88 year old neighbors ride up to my place this morning, on his jack. Seems that jack is saddle broke and rides pretty well. I couldn't believe my old buddy had been able to get in the saddle though. If I did something like that, I'd probably break a hip.

ppine

Forester
I have been a mule man for many years. My wife had a saddle donkey once, Many oldtimers claim that if you ride a good donkey you won't want to ride anything else. They are the smartest of all equines, and have little flight instinct. They stand and fight.

They don't need shoes, take the cold and heat, and can eat almost any vegetation. They have a tough constitution. There two donkeys at my neighbor's pasture. I stop and pet them a couple of times a week sometimes at night. They love watermelon, and unusual vegetables. If I ever take a really long trip it will be on foot with two pack donkeys.

ppine

Forester
There used to be all mule rodeos in the old days. To see mules and donkeys peforming anything equestrian, try Mule Days in Bishop,CA. It is like rodeo with fewer injuries and more laughs.

Qweetzy

My Dad taught me to plow with a mule. It was one of the hardest workers I've ever seen. It would have worn out a horse three times over and we could plow our bottom in a day. I miss that old mule. He and I used to travel all over the place too. I'd ride him to town on Saturday if we didn't have anything to do that day and would ride him to church on Sunday. I've never seen a mule like him since.

ppine

Forester
Qweetzy,

There are some great mules out there now. I really like your story. When mules start to trust you they can be a real pleasure to work with. There are now some trainers who specialize in starting mules. Mules do not suffer fools. They won't take rough treatment. I had to quit riding them after 2 bad wrecks.